Extended OCI's Taking Their Toll On Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article from AutocarePro.com

----------------------
Auto manufacturers, in general, are continuing to reduce vehicle maintenance requirements by extending oil change intervals.

However, many vehicle owners are forgetting to check their engine’s oil level between oil changes.

The most common result is an engine ruined by excess accumulations of varnish and sludge due to using motor oils that are not approved by the engine manufacturer. In less common instances, the engine fails due to low engine oil levels and a subsequent lack of lubrication.

Whatever the case, extended oil change intervals are changing how we should recommend and perform scheduled vehicle maintenances.

Oil DEPOSIT CONTROL

While lead-free, high-detergent gasoline has dramatically reduced intake port and combustion chamber deposits, modern engine oils are also specially formulated to prevent carbon from forming in the combustion chamber, piston rings from sticking and oil additives from contaminating the catalytic converter.

In particular, modern engines generally use narrow, low-tension piston rings that are fitted very tightly into the piston to increase piston ring sealing and reduce oil consumption.

On the upside, low piston ring tension reduces rotating friction and cylinder wear. On the downside, low-tension rings with tight side-gap clearances tend to stick when the incorrect engine oil is used. Therefore, the ability of an engine oil to clean and lubricate the piston ring package is critical.
Photo 2: A loss of lubrication quickly scores pistons and other vital engine components.

ANTI-SCUFFING ADDITIVES

Oil suppliers have also eliminated zinc and phosphorous-based anti-scuff additives that reduce catalytic converter efficiency. While the elimination of these particular anti-scuff additives has increased camshaft wear on some high-performance pushrod-style engines, it hasn’t affected overhead camshaft engines due to the lower valve spring pressures used on overhead camshaft designs.

On the other hand, some engines equipped with direct fuel injection require a high degree of anti-scuff protection to prevent the camshaft-driven high-pressure fuel pump and camshaft lobe from wearing out. In most cases, oil refiners have gone to much higher quality base oils to prevent wear on the high-pressure fuel pump and cam lobe. Again, it’s vitally important to make sure that the replacement oil is either OE oil or is approved by the OE manufacturer.

As for older, performance pushrod, flat-tappet engines that are not equipped with catalytic converters, specially branded performance oils are available with anti-scuff additives to prevent camshaft and valve lifter wear. In addition, zinc-based “ZDDP” additives are also available to enhance the anti-scuff qualities of over-the-counter motor oils. Again, these oils and additives are not intended for vehicles equipped with catalytic converters.

OIL LIFE ISSUES

Neglected oil change intervals can ruin the best engine oils. As engine oil accumulates miles, it becomes contaminated with carbon, water and various acids, all of which are a by-product of internal combustion and which will form a film of black, gooey sludge on the interior parts of the engine.

Cold-engine operation accelerates the formation of sludge because the oil temperatures aren’t sufficient to evaporate accumulated moisture. Oil sludging is also aggravated by short-trip, cold-weather driving and by thermostats that are stuck open. See Photo 1.

ENGINE LUBRICATION PROBLEMS

When the engine is operated at high speeds and temperatures, sludge often dislodges and clogs the oil filter. Since most oil filters incorporate bypass valves that allow the lubricating oil to flow around a clogged filter media, the dirty oil can pass directly into the engine and clog small-diameter oil galleries.

In any case, heavily sludged oil will eventually clog the engine’s oil pump pickup screen, oil filter and oil galleries. The initial symptoms of oil starvation are engines that become noisy during cold start-up and oil pressure gauges that rise very slowly.

Broken timing belts are also symptomatic of oil starvation on overhead camshafts. Because the damage usually includes the crankshaft and piston assemblies, don’t be too eager to quote a cylinder head replacement as the cure for a seized camshaft

Interesting-sounds like some garages are going to need more work! Surprising they didn't mention spun rod bearings-that's usually the first thing that happens when an engine runs out of oil.

Let's not forget that the folks that wrote this piece are the ones that want you to be in their shop every 3K miles. My new '13 Sonata does not have an OLM because the dealer says--" they don't work properly". Seems strange that GM, Honda, and others are quite happy with the performance of OLM's. The car maintainance guys don't like it! FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: EricF

The most common result is an engine ruined

Errrmmm, no.
The most common result is an engine that runs until the car is retired due to collision, rust or generally falling apart.

Using the wrong oil has nothing to do with extended change intervals. Extended change intervals with the correct oil is less expensive than 'standard' change intervals with [censored] oil. And using a below-spec oil can immediately cause wear -- frequent changes won't fix that.

Given that the factory claims that 1 quart per 1000 miles (or even 500 miles) is an acceptable oil consumption rate, it's hard to argue that 3500 mile changes will fix oil starvation failures. The way to address that problem is oil level warnings, a feature that has been around for three decades on some brands.

Been dealing with automobiles for over 2 decades now and I don't buy this hoopla RE:extended OCI is ruining engines, yadda yadda yadda, citing that (a) with more precise than ever EFI and engine management control, EFI engines see further reduction in oil contamination esp. fuel dilution (as opposed to old carb'ed cars with a choke (I called that a flap), etc. cold starts are more consistent then ever before and engine warm-ups, etc. the inclusion of wide-band O2 sensor immediately downstream on the exhaust manifold side, etc. the reduction of contaminants and such are so good nowadays and coupled with (b) better motor oil that meets ILSAC/API standards (or European standards, etc.), even conventional motor oil can run up to 5K OCI safely without harm.

As a result: oil lasts longer (or to be precise: oil serviceable life stretches out further than before),and better base oil makes engine oil lasts longer with less wear on the engine.

Written by amateurs for the internet only. No facts to back things up.

Q.

I'd like to see more specifics but yes I could see very long OCI's and owners not checking oil levels becoming an issue .
I'm sure in most cases the oil is up to it but in extreme driving conditions that may change OCI lengths .

We are seeing a time where oil manufacturers are having to up their oils abilities for longer OCI's due to demands by auto manufacturers and environmental demands .

I've mentioned this before but back in the 70's when conventional 10W30 was the main oil in use we had a lot of the 2.3 OHC engines in Ford Pintos failing due to lack of lubrication to the camshaft in very cold weather . It wasn't too long before 5W grades became available to improve cold start oil flow .

Last edited:
I have always run Mobil 1 since it hit the market in all my vehicles, and always change the oil once a year. I have never hade a sludge or wear issue with any of my vehicles, and I keep them a long time.

Reactions: NO2
Well, I think there is a grain of truth in the article. A lot of people don't check their oil level very regularly. Therefore, a relatively early oil change interval may accidentally bail them out. The oil doesn't really need hanging, but its only a quart low at 3K but 2 quarts low at 6K. That's an argument for checking oil levels once in a while, not an argument for obsessing over OCI.

There is this about a long oil change interval: The longer the interval the easier it is to forget completely. The guy who is used to changing every three months is unlikely to forget for a year and a half. They guy who should change every nine months, might easily forget and go two years.

I haven't seen any sign from the Used Oil Analyses posted on this forum that oils easily expire before the recommended change interval. In my own case, the supposedly insubstantial Motorcraft had plenty of add pack left at 8,300 miles when the IOLM finally went off. That's probably the norm with name-brand oil.

I can't speak for the validity of the OP's article, but I've come across a few newer engines that had little or no oil showing on the dipstick after 8-10k intervals.

There was one thing in common amongst all of them - they were using (and called for) a 20wt oil.

Internet editorial. Pure opinion piece.

As mentioned above, many brands have an oil level sensor these days. Many more use an OLM system that is far better than a "guess".

While we all hear the squealing the fact is most engines do not use much oil and the highway is not littered with the dead cars the article implies....

Quote:
ANTI-SCUFFING ADDITIVES

Oil suppliers have also eliminated zinc and phosphorous-based anti-scuff additives that reduce catalytic converter efficiency. While the elimination of these particular anti-scuff additives has increased camshaft wear on some high-performance pushrod-style engines, it hasn’t affected overhead camshaft engines due to the lower valve spring pressures used on overhead camshaft designs.

Oh really?

This guy apparently doesn't know the difference between reduction and elimination.

Another ignorant post with scare tactics.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Been dealing with automobiles for over 2 decades now and I don't buy this hoopla RE:extended OCI is ruining engines, yadda yadda yadda, citing that (a) with more precise than ever EFI and engine management control, EFI engines see further reduction in oil contamination esp. fuel dilution (as opposed to old carb'ed cars with a choke (I called that a flap), etc. cold starts are more consistent then ever before and engine warm-ups, etc. the inclusion of wide-band O2 sensor immediately downstream on the exhaust manifold side, etc. the reduction of contaminants and such are so good nowadays and coupled with (b) better motor oil that meets ILSAC/API standards (or European standards, etc.), even conventional motor oil can run up to 5K OCI safely without harm.

As a result: oil lasts longer (or to be precise: oil serviceable life stretches out further than before),and better base oil makes engine oil lasts longer with less wear on the engine.

Written by amateurs for the internet only. No facts to back things up.

Q.

I agree, but the elephant in the room is DI, it still has a way to go. EFI is about as good as it can be, and I agree with everything you've said regarding it and carb'ed engines. DI OTOH is in the infant stages of its development, IMO and the opinion of others. That poses new challenges for oil, and as we've seen re-calibration of the OLM in a lot of applications because of fuel dilution issues that were just about non-existent with a properly running EFI engine. Opinions vary, and some DI engines are better than others.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I can't speak for the validity of the OP's article, but I've come across a few newer engines that had little or no oil showing on the dipstick after 8-10k intervals.

There was one thing in common amongst all of them - they were using (and called for) a 20wt oil.

My engines use 0-20 and in 10K OCIs have never droped off the full mark.

Man you guys are spoiled you need to run some vintage European cars! 1 quart per 700 miles was considered fine...

Modern motors are just about maintenance free.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Well, I think there is a grain of truth in the article. A lot of people don't check their oil level very regularly. Therefore, a relatively early oil change interval may accidentally bail them out.

There's a large grain of truth in it...

You guys should see the stuff that comes through the dealers auctions, knocking, locked up motors or rods hanging out are a regular event, all because someone just added gas and drove...

One of the wife's cousins rolled in here from OH and asked me to check the tires before she started back, they were anywhere from 20 to over 50 psi... I checked oil and it barely touched the stick... There was a Pennzoil sticker on the windshield saying due at 79K mi, the car had 105K mi... She confirmed that sticker was last time it was serviced...

So the article should read something like "Extending oil changes beyond the manufacturer's recommend interval and using a non spec'd lube has the potential to damage your engine" and not "scare, boo, bwa hahahaha!!!!"

This is exactly what is occurring in this country...I see nothing but vehicle neglect on a grand scale. We are the minority here on this forum.

Quote:
=TFB1There's a large grain of truth in it...

You guys should see the stuff that comes through the dealers auctions, knocking, locked up motors or rods hanging out are a regular event, all because someone just added gas and drove...

One of the wife's cousins rolled in here from OH and asked me to check the tires before she started back, they were anywhere from 20 to over 50 psi... I checked oil and it barely touched the stick... There was a Pennzoil sticker on the windshield saying due at 79K mi, the car had 105K mi... She confirmed that sticker was last time it was serviced...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back