So let's have an LSPI conversation from a different angle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been digesting all of this stuff about LSPI, although I will not anytime soon buy a TGDI engine. So... here's my questions/thoughts.

LSPI is a relatively recent phenomenon, brought on by the introduction of TGDI engines. It has almost exclusively affected engines in North America.

The quick and dirty culprit is supposedly the calcium content of oil, as low calcium oils have supposedly passed all the LSPI tests with flying colors.

But what if we go deeper? Even past the obvious TCU programming that upshifts as soon as possible to maximize mileage (that most European cars avoid and also don't have LSPI issues either).

Let's go on the engineering side. One of the detractors of fuel mileage is weight, especially so when in the rotating assembly of the engine. So, as manufacturers have been cutting ounces and grams from the pistons, rods, rings, and valvetrain, they have pushed the rings higher and higher and pushed piston material choices to almost exclusively hypereutectic alloys.

Anyone who has been around performance engine building knows there are several issues with using hyper pistons. Not only are the eutectic alloys capable of lower thermal expansion and running tighter clearances (good), they are extremely brittle to forces like detonation (bad
frown.gif
). You would also know that because they have moved the rings up extremely high and shrunk the skirts to the minimum possible, there is very little thermal mass to the piston to help absorb and disperse some of the heat. This likely leads to an extremely high piston top temperature, which then only exacerbates the LSPI (detonation by any other name). 4032 and 2618 alloys are much more durable under high boost and resistant to the shockwave of detonation.

So, here's my theory: I'm willing to bet that if you were to take an engine type that is most LSPI prone based on manufacturer failures and take two brand new engines. Tear one down and replace the pistons with a set of 4032 or 2618 pistons, and move the rings down to "normal" locations, and increase the weight similar to what is used in similar non-TGDI engines of the same size, and rebalance the whole thing. Then, use the same exact PCM and TCU programming, and stick a high-calcium oil in the engine you changed pistons in, and an SN+ oil in the placebo engine.

Then, run the LSPI tests and purposely do the engine speeds and loads most likely shown to cause LSPI in the parent engine. I'm willing to bet these changes would show it's not so much the oil as it is the extreme chasing of minimizing rotating weight and friction, and the bean counters wanting to cut costs by insisting on hypereutectics instead of forgings.

What thinks the board?

I'm not a engineer nor a mechanic but today's pistons look more like hockey pucks than the old style which had skirts. I wonder if this kind of design takes away the stability of the piston in the cylinder? That description may not be correct.

The LSPI problem has been solved or hasn't depending upon which article we read. The most important need when designing an engine is emissions and MPGS.
Would the average consumer put up with a potential noisier engine during the warm up cycle if forged pistons are used.?

Pim, that's exactly what happens. As the overall piston height shrink and the wrist pin moves closer to the crown, the piston will "rock" in the bore. This causes extremely poor ring sealing in the cylinders.

CT8, what's more inconvenient? A slightly noisier engine on cold startup, or an engine that vomits its internal parts onto the onramp?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Pim, that's exactly what happens. As the overall piston height shrink and the wrist pin moves closer to the crown, the piston will "rock" in the bore. This causes extremely poor ring sealing in the cylinders.

CT8, what's more inconvenient? A slightly noisier engine on cold startup, or an engine that vomits its internal parts onto the onramp?

Thanks Adam. That is what I was trying to describe but the words were not coming out in my brain.

People complain that x oil makes their engines sound louder. ! am an overkill heavy duty type it is not done unless it is over done type person.

Hey Pim, I'm Chris. Adam is '53 Stude
lol.gif

See. My brain is definitely not working. My apologies.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Hey Pim, I'm Chris. Adam is '53 Stude
lol.gif

See. My brain is definitely not working. My apologies.

Know the feeling some days ^^^^^

lol.gif

... they have pushed the rings higher and higher ...
I understand that's mainly for emissions reasons, to minimize the volume of unburned fuel mixture trapped in the narrow space between the top ring and piston top. Aside from LSPI, doesn't that increase tendency to ring coking, by raising the temperature of the rings?

Originally Posted by CT8
The LSPI problem has been solved or hasn't depending upon which article we read. The most important need when designing an engine is emissions and MPGS.
Would the average consumer put up with a potential noisier engine during the warm up cycle if forged pistons are used.?

That can often be mitigated with longer skirts, but then we are doing the full dance backwards
lol.gif

I remember my 302 with forged TRW slugs that had generous skirts and it made zero noise on startup.

Ah yes, the "mighty" 87-91 302 Windsor... the engine I cut my performance teeth on. It was almost comical... you would split the block in half before you hurt the rods, pistons, or crank on those engines. Good times!
lol.gif

Theory makes sense...lighter, weaker parts are more easily damaged and hockey pucks rattle around in the cylinder more than soup cans.

Ah yes, the "mighty" 87-91 302 Windsor... the engine I cut my performance teeth on. It was almost comical... you would split the block in half before you hurt the rods, pistons, or crank on those engines. Good times!
lol.gif

Yup, right down the valley
lol.gif
I think the highest power level any of my group pushed on a stock thin-wall roller block was 534RWHP.

I have the crank from one sitting in my basement right now
grin.gif

IMO, the calcium in oil may be a contributing factor. But I believe the real culprit is that the engines and transmissions are programmed for EPA CAFE requirements and they are programmed to downshift too late.

For instance, here are the specs for a 2.5L TGDI engine. Look at the RPM for torque. That is insane. So, they are dumping boost and fuel into the engine to make max torque at barely off idle....... If you remember the old engines always pinged under load at low RPMs..I think this is similar, just on steroids leading to catastrophic piston damage.

cx-9.JPG

I'm kind of in shock.... this board can generate 17 pages of posts (sometimes several times per month!) arguing with Stevie about Amsoil this or that before it gets locked, and a thread about discussing alternate contributing factors of LSPI doesn't even generate two. I guess nobody really cares about LSPI or oil?
21.gif

To me, I would rather have a shorter thread with quality comments than the usual GDI is CAFE junk or I will never buy a GDI or TGDI engine ever responses.

I think the piston design answers so far are revealing. With that said I'm sure there is much more to this phenomena than pistons or oil. The transmission programming also plays a part.

In other words, lugging the engine with no sound since the sensors prompt the computer to make changes in fuel delivery etc.

IF I ever rebuild this 1.6 EcoBoost for insane power (like 425+ WHP on stock displacement), with a much larger,, but still not 'laggy' turbo (of course with all of the ancillaries required with that; piggybacked port injection system tuned in, crazy sized intercooler, higher capacity radiator, new factory clutch assembly, at least a heavily baffled/trap door windage tray, if not a full dry sump system, 300M material/level half shafts and CV joints, a great limited slip diff of whatever sort, etc.), it WILL be getting fully forged and balanced internals to deal with that (including race level pistons) added stress.
wink.gif

The current limits on this engine with fully factory internals seems to be ~375 WHP, even with the proper fueling/cooling requirements met, before they grenade spectacularly.
I guess that whatever grade materials FoMoCo is using for their hypereutectic pistons and rotating assembly of this engine, they are at least decently strong if they can take those 375 WHP level cylinder pressures before exploding?
confused2.gif

I wonder if this slight 'over-built' characteristic makes them less prone to any LSPI damage at just factory stock, or mildly tuned (like +25 HP at most) levels, IF that were to occur?
21.gif

(The whole shift point factor, as a proponent of LSPI incidence, as per factory ECM/transmission tuning goes is taken out of the hands of the MPG/CAFE fretting engineers, and into the drivers'/owners' hands with this particular iteration of this engine, since this car can ONLY be had with a 6 speed MANUAL gearbox.)

Our 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer tends to keep the rpm while driving in the 25-45 mph range at ~1200-1600 rpm while in D. It doesn't feel like it's lugging but on the "verge" of lugging if it had a manual transmission. If you use "S"port mode then it runs ~200-300 rpm higher at the same speeds and doesn't feel like it's on the verge of lugging. I've settled on using Mobil 1 5W-30 because it's been Dexos 1 Gen 2 friendly even before that spec became "official". Any added bonus to help with "potential" LSPI and timing chain wear is beneficial. Also their twice a year oil and filter rebates help
grin2.gif
. I've been accused of being a Luddite
lol.gif
with most modern technology but I have to say what I'm impressed with the power and fuel economy this 4 cylinder engine delivers in a fairly heavy vehicle. I don't know whether Ford's Ecoboost engines have experienced LSPI as some other manufactures have though.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back