NYT: Rubbing Out Friction in the Push for Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
That 4WD Explorer isn't any better in the rain...and it's not really any better in the snow (people here crash because they can't stop, not because they can't go) but it's heavier and sucks gas as a result...

Of course the 4x4 version is more capable in the snow. 4x4 can make the difference between getting home and getting stuck. 4x4 doesn't allow you to stop any faster, but as with any tool, improper use results in bad consequences.

Blame the user, not the tool.

Quote:

They cannot do that because it would mean going back to basics, i.e light weight, simple drive trains and small displacement engines. Public does not want cars like that, they want all the toys and options.

+1
I have been looking for a new "truck" if you will to replace my 01 Blazer and I can't believe the curb weight on these things. Take the Chevy Traverse or Toyota Venza both have curb weights of almost 5Klb's, my 91 4 dr is 3850 so what gives here. I'm sure all of the new safety requirements hasen't helped in the weight department either, also some one explain to me why I need 20" tires when 15's have been serving us well for decades.
loose the BIG wheel pkgs, powered sun roof and the other power junk and you might have a beginning.
just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back