Vavoline Maxlife AFT will destroy me trans??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Ive been told by all the members of Elantraxd.com that if I use
ANY other ATF except SPIII, my transmission will be destroyed and
will void the warranty on my 2005 Hyundai Elantra!!

If I use Vavoline Maxlife ATF, my trans will die "within 500
miles."
Vavoline Maxlife clearly states on their website that its
"100 campatible with SPII."

Are these guys all brainwashed, or what?? Why are they making these comments??

Originally Posted By: flinter

Are these guys all brainwashed, or what?? Why are they making these comments??

Experience?
You should find that out :p

Just be aware that Hyundai uses a chemical tracer in their SP-III fluid. So, in the event of a failure, they will be looking for that tracer in the fluid.

Humm...exactly where can I get confirmation that Hyundai uses
a tracer in their fluid? Who exactly is your source on that
information??

I have a 04 Kia Sedona with the same requirement. I've used Max Life since 30000 miles. Now have almost 93000 miles. Trans works perfectly. I was told the same garbage. I went to the dealer to buy a quart of the specified fluid. They tried to sell me a bottle that said Kia Trans Fluid on it. Absolutely nothing else. What a joke.

Brainwashed? Definitely!

Many universal and multivehicle ATFs can be used and will work just as well or even better.

Use the Maxlife if that is what you want to buy.

And they claim Hyundai has a TSB stating that aftermarket ATF
will cause damage and VOID the warranty.

You can look up TSB yourself on edmunds, and many other websites. Check it out and see if you can find one on it.

information??

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=764627

Automatically void the warranty? No.

Put you in an uphill battle? Possibly.

Here's the TSB:

09-AT-006

"Hyundai Motor Company approves of the use of only the ATF specified in the vehicle’s owner’s manual. Use of other ATF may result in improper shift quality or other driveability issues.
Hyundai Motor Company does not approve of the use of any aftermarket ATF additives.

Hyundai Owner’s Manuals state:
“Use only Hyundai Genuine ATF or other brands meeting the specification approved by Hyundai Motor Company.” The approved ATF and the ATF level checking procedure are summarized below:"

There's another TSB, 00-40-013:

"The 2001 Hyundai Shop Manuals specify "SPII-M" automatic transaxle fluid (ATF) for use in automatic transaxles; however, "SPIII" ATFhas been installed in all 2001 model year Hyundai vehicles beginningin July, 2000. SPIII is a new ATF formulation that provides thefollowing improvements to SPII and SPII-M:

Improved low temperature viscosity
Improved friction modifier additives to provide superior shift quality

Currently, only SPII (P/N 00230-18000) is available to your dealership. SPIII will be made available later this year.SPII has most of the benefits of SPII-M and SPIII, including goodlow temperature viscosity and oxidation resistance for long lifeof the ATF. No durability or shift quality conditions will occurif SPII is used on 2001 vehicles. SPII and SPIII are compatibleand can be mixed in any proportion; however if more than 10 SPII is mixed with SPIII, the benefits of SPIII will be reduced.

The ATF maintenance interval has not changed from the previous SPII interval:

SERVICE INFORMATION:

Both SPII and SPIII have a red color when new; however, the ATF may change color to a dark brown after 10,000 to 25,000miles in service. According to the manufacturer of SPII and SPIII,this color change is normal for this type of ATF and does not indicate an internal transaxle condition."

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Here you go here is the list. I see a few transmission/transaxle but nothing to do with fluids.
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.html?type=tsb&styleId=100478643&zip=

Don't rely on edmunds, their feature is awful. You need Mitchell OnDemand5 or the manufacturer's diagnostic software.

Quote:
other brands meeting the specification

Hyundai would need to prove the fluid you used actually damaged the tranny. Sounds like a hassle, but it just takes a little backbone and backing from the fluid manufacturer.

flinter, you need to find another Hyundai board to hang out in. Those folks will rot your brain. Search this forum. You will see over and over and over (did I say over?) that any ATF labeled "suitable for use where SP-III is spec'd" works flawlessly in Hyundai ATs that spec SP-III. Maxlife is just one of them.

Joel

information??

All oil companies use tracers in all of their fluids for identification. It's just a known fact. The Valvoline Maxlife ATF you want to use has tracers in it.

Whoever told you the Valvoline will destroy your trans within 500 miles is full of it. Take your car somewhere else.

Thanks for the responses!
Everyone here is pleasant and respectful.
On that elantra site, if you have an opposing view, they respond
back with rudeness and vulgarities. They are very immature.

Its a pleasure to post here!

Thanks for the responses!
Everyone here is pleasant and respectful.
On that elantra site, if you have an opposing view, they respond
back with rudeness and vulgarities. They are very immature.

Its a pleasure to post here!

You just have to watch out for the domestic import threads or maybe any thread to do with royal purple. But other than that every one here is pretty much helpful.

We all have our disagreements/heated debates at times. But in the end,their is not one person here that I wouldnt help if they needed it.

the question is if Hyundai does not make its' own transmission fluid which I am convinced it does't. What magical fluid are they really using is it plain ATF+3? What company is making the fluid for them. Why does it not have a product data sheet for the public to see should that not be mandated by regulation.

pretty sure sp3 is the spec that they use. A quick google makes it appear Mitsubishi came out with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back