vavoline instant oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bubbatime
My rule of thumb is if they lie about one thing, then they are lying about more things. Consider everything he said a lie. I personally would walk.

I bought a motorcycle once. Guy said he put a new battery in it "two weeks ago" as well as two brand new tires, and also just changed the oil, "like 500 miles ago. When I got it home, the oil was a quart low and black and looked 6000 miles old. And the battery and tires were OEM factory dated units that came from the fsctory, and we're never changed. Why did he lie? It made no sense.

Not to be ****, but that all sounds like you dropped the ball. I would've checked myself on the test ride before I ever payed him for anything.

Originally Posted by Samrsnow
6500? I wouldn't pay more than 4500 with that mileage.

...and you'd never own one at $4500...these mothers go for $12-$14k all updated.

If you find two 05's @ 4500 I'd probably buy both. here in the Midwest there bringing 9k-10k with more miles especially @ dealers/stealers! most of them with no documentation @ all.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Can you see inside the valve cover through the oil fill hole?

...that usually tells the whole story

I couldn't today but before he gets any cash, I'll take my step ladder and a flashlight to check, should it be totally clean or is a little varnish oh? I know the cleaner the better! just sayin.

if he has all those OCI records wouldn't sweat varnish, we'll deal with that later,,think drives line...see if it stumbles, clunks ect. if not and the body id clean we have a workable item.

OMG! thanks to BTOG,s intelligent posters I just looked on youtube for a 4.7 starter replacement vid. OMG! what were they thinking! What a bi**h! $1000 @ the stealer! I don't about these cars what other hidden gems will I find. Why is nothing ever easy! I miss my 74 chevy PU! 400 small block that me and a friend installed in a day! ran till the body about fell off.

Originally Posted by dblshock
if he has all those OCI records wouldn't sweat varnish, we'll deal with that later,,think drives line...see if it stumbles, clunks ect. if not and the body id clean we have a workable item.

I drove it for close to an hour today, 1 real simi panic stop in a downpour, hard acceleration, turning everything is solid and quiet.

I have seen a Land Cruiser with over 680k miles on odo with nothing but verifiable VIOC after the first hundred k miles. So, VIOC alone is OK. For the rest of the story, e.g. funny power and whatever he calls timing belt service, I would walk away. The belt itself is fine for over 300k on 2UZ, but the hydro tensioners and pulleys could leave you without the engine much sooner..

The price is very attractive. A client was selling his 2002 Lexus LX to CarMax for $6,500. He is of a type, who doesn't want to hassle. I asked him as to whether he would consider me. We shook hands a day later. I can double it a year later, but I am not going to.
Finding those in his condition is close to impossible. That engine is interference, regardless of what folks would tell you, it just doesn't always bomb. I would open the TB cover and check it out.

I stand corrected! The Louisiana used car market is trash, so I guess I can't comment. Never really seen a used sequoia for sale down here without digging.

Originally Posted by dblshock

...and you'd never own one at $4500...these mothers go for $12-$14k all updated.

Originally Posted by silver1

If you find two 05's @ 4500 I'd probably buy both. here in the Midwest there bringing 9k-10k with more miles especially @ dealers/stealers! most of them with no documentation @ all.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Keep your Suburban. GMT400s are the best!

after all the looking for a new suv for over two weeks maybe I will just put a couple grand in the suburban fix the air, and a few other things. I mean it has a rebuilt trans which is the the weakest link in these GM trucks because that's what they are Trucks who came up with that Girly term SUV! it's a truck Da*nit! It's not a rust bucket needs a back door & rear bumper, the rest is pretty solid.

Last edited:
Here in California, you can find rust free 04-05 4WD Sequoias with comparable mileage for 5K with a bit of searching and patience. Heck, 02-03's in good condition can be found for under 4K. If you are set on a Sequoia, I can help you find a solid one. Of course, you'd have to get it back somehow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007
Here in California, you can find rust free 04-05 4WD Sequoias with comparable mileage for 5K with a bit of searching and patience. Heck, 02-03's in good condition can be found for under 4K. If you are set on a Sequoia, I can help you find a solid one. Of course, you'd have to get it back somehow.

I've got a couple of buddy's in Auburn ca. went out to visit a couple years ago, took 3 weeks out and back, wish I'd had 2 months 1'st time to the WC saw as much as we could only 4 or 5 days in ca. went to many nat. parks out and back. stayed away from socal lol.

Got lazy and did the last oil change at jiffy lube. Brought my own m1 oil and filter, they put "customer filter" on the receipt but keep their "conventional oil", now on paper I got a conventional oil change, in reality they got a surplus in oil. I'm pretty sure it happens everywhere

after all the looking for a new suv for over two weeks maybe I will just put a couple grand in the suburban fix the air, and a few other things. I mean it has a rebuilt trans which is the the weakest link in these GM trucks because that's what they are Trucks who came up with that Girly term SUV! it's a truck Da*nit! It's not a rust bucket needs a back door & rear bumper, the rest is pretty solid.

Since you have a vehicle that runs good take your time, it took me over a year and a half to find my Lucerne. At first I wasn't sure what I wanted but after I test drove a dozen different cars over six months I decided I wanted a Lucerne, it took another year to find one that was in good shape with low miles. Nice used vehicles are out there you just have to be patient.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
My rule of thumb is if they lie about one thing, then they are lying about more things. Consider everything he said a lie. I personally would walk.

X2 couldn't agree more. If I catch you in one outright lie I am gonna be hard pressed to believe much of anything else. And he claims to have done the timing belt when he doesn't even do his own oil changes? Right.....

I mean if your 4L60E is in good condition then yeah, you should be OK for a long time. AC work is expensive, you can do it yourself with some patience though! I do personally feel the 4L80E should have been standard in all V8 GMT400s but they didn't listen to me LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KCJeep
[

X2 couldn't agree more. If I catch you in one outright lie I am gonna be hard pressed to believe much of anything else. And he claims to have done the timing belt when he doesn't even do his own oil changes? Right.....

Excellent point
thumbsup2.gif

Whimsey

Save $4000 repairs and keep your Burb nearly the same fuel economy and you know all the warts. It's better than spending $6000 and not knowing what will fail first.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Save $4000 repairs and keep your Burb nearly the same fuel economy and you know all the warts. It's better than spending $6000 and not knowing what will fail first.

Thanks to everyone, I walked! Too many outright lies! Keeping the Burb. Maybe look for 2.2 subie for moma to drive in the snow. +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back