Vaseline to lube my rubber..

seal? What? :)

I was planning to replace the rubber seal/gasket on the garage door, are there any preventative measures you use to stop your garage door from freezing in the winter?

My wife parks in the unheated garage, and the temperature is just warm enough to melt the snow on the car and just cold enough to have it refreeze by the garage door.

I've been using Vaseline, but I usually get a weird look when people spot it on the shelf, plus it is kind messy. Any other ideas that work well and last a long time?

downloadfile-1 (1).jpg

I’d use silicone. My dad put vasoline on the deal for their sediment filter of the house and it essentially superglued it together!

seal? What? :)

I was planning to replace the rubber seal/gasket on the garage door, are there any preventative measures you use to stop your garage door from freezing in the winter?

My wife parks in the unheated garage, and the temperature is just warm enough to melt the snow on the car and just cold enough to have it refreeze by the garage door.

I've been using Vaseline, but I usually get a weird look when people spot it on the shelf, plus it is kind messy. Any other ideas that work well and last a long time?
I've heard that antifreeze works. I've never tried it though. I don't think it would last very long though.

If you try it be careful not to spill any on the floor. It tastes sweet and pets will lick up an antifreeze puddle with disastrous results.

Gummi pflege is the recommended product for weatherstripping on the Detail and Wax forum......

Many rubbers today are resistant to petroleum, and silicone rubber shouldn't be used with silicone lubes, and some other organic oils can attack some so-called-rubber compounds.

Best to try to identify the type of rubber. Ask the manufacturer if they don't have a product webpage detailing this. Sometimes a garage door seal that's called rubber isn't even rubber, rather vinyl.

I suspect that silicone rubber gasket is less likely (adds expense) so a silicone based grease is more likely to be compatible.

I’ve lived way too many decades near the Canadian Border and sticking doors never happened to me. Once in a while it lets go with a noise but has never done any damage or caused any issues. It sounds like your seal is soft and porous allowing water to freeze to it . You might try spray in the bottom of it with armor all every month during the winter.

I get tired of my problematic seal after a skunk gate a big section off of it. I noticed an Amazon they had the 18 foot bottom aluminum rail with slide in rubber bulb gasket. The type that was made for aluminum doors though they can work on wood. They have the nice round hollow bulb that’s an inch high or more. Mine was 40 bucks or less couple of years ago and works fine even with my wonky uneven floor. If yours is bugging you that much you might consider grabbing one of those. It’s easy to put on with a hacksaw and a screwdriver

Back