Vaseline and Gear Lube (Trans Fluid)

I just finished rebuilding the AX15 in my 95 Wrangler. There were several balls and pins that the manual said to use Vaseline on to hold in place. I tried to use just the MT90 fluid I bought, but in the end had to use the Vaseline. I know Vaseline used to be a go to for all sorts of assembly tasks however, I can't find any information about how it interacts with the fluids?

Does it need to be changed after running it some and washing that Vaseline off of everything? Or is the Vaseline essentially harmless?

Vaseline is taken out of crude oil. It was first found apparently forming at the well head and scraped off and used. So it comes from oil,,,it will go back in!

See https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/what-is-vaseline.30446/ which states Vaseline is safe to use and harmless.
1625438571371.png

The TL; DR, it's just hella thick mineral oil, should disolve into the transfluid and you'll never know it was there, essentially it's like thicker lucas oil stabilizer.

Does it need to be changed after running it some and washing that Vaseline off of everything? Or is the Vaseline essentially harmless?

You do not need to "flush it out." The whole reason it's used here is because it causes no issues once it dissolves back into the ATF when the unit is used the first time. Very valuable tool in assembly. While there are specialty products for it, like Assemblee Goo, there's just nothing wrong with using vaseline.

Back