Engine assembly lube on manual trans build

I'm not able to get any of the popular manual transmission assembly lubes around here, Assemblee Goo/Transjel etc. Can I use a common engine assembly lube, or am I better off going with the old standard of Vaseline? Or should I just focus on making sure everything's well soaked with gear oil as I build it? I'm mainly thinking about needle bearings on first startup. I have MT-90 here but it feels pretty thin and doesn't really stick that well.

Gear oil soak is good. STP is another. Can also warm vaseline and add gear oil, mix, and cool. You'll figure out a good ratio.

Some engine assembly lube has a ton of moly. Avoid that is synchro'd. If the engine assembly lube is zddp loaded grease like, then good to go.

Gear oil soak is good. STP is another. Can also warm vaseline and add gear oil, mix, and cool. You'll figure out a good ratio.

Some engine assembly lube has a ton of moly. Avoid that is synchro'd. If the engine assembly lube is zddp loaded grease like, then good to go.

Thanks, didn't know about the moly, that's great to know. This is exactly why I was hesitant, I figured there were some potential chemistry issues.

I'm guessing STP would be their engine oil treatment? Really like the idea of vaseline + gear oil, I'm going to experiment with that tomorrow.

I also should have added that this is a Datsun transmission that takes gear oil, not ATF.

I've built quite a few, and always just used the fluid I intended to run as the assembly lube. Zero lubricant related problems.
I do the same. The only time I need an assembly type heavy grease is when I rebuild old Muncies (M20/21/22), The cluster gear needs to be packed with the needle bearings, in that case I just use a small as possible dollop of chassis or wheel bearing grease smeared all over the needles to make them sticky and where they ride. This is required only to hold the needles in place until the cluster gear shaft and cluster gear are assembled, everywhere else (front roller, rear roller, tailshaft bushing, mainshaft etc.), I just sparingly use the final intended lube.

I would thing that Lubriplate No. 105 Engine Assembly Lube would be OK. I don't believe there's any moly in it.

Like others, I dip parts in what ever lube the is supposed to be used in the gear box. With the exception of holding individual needle bearings in place.

Back