Variation of HT/HS values within the same grade

Let's use 5W-20 as an example:

Oil A: HT/HS= 2.67, VI= 153
Oil B: HT/HS = 3.27, VI= 140
Oil C: HT/HS = 3.0, VI=147

All three oils are "full synthetic" 5W-20 products with a Vis @40C between 50-53 cSt, Vis@100C between 8.7-9.0 cSt.

How can there be such a significant difference in HT/HS values?

Mobil has an example in their blending chart of a 5w30 with a HTHS of 3.7
Most of the 10w30 HDEOs are in the 3.5-3.7 range.
An SAE 30 just under the 12.5 limit, group I base oil is over 3.8

There was a good thread, iirc by Gokhan, a few months back that talked about how there are W-20 oils with a higher HTFS than some 5W-30 or even some -40s.

Let's use 5W-20 as an example:

Oil A: HT/HS= 2.67, VI= 153
Oil B: HT/HS = 3.27, VI= 140
Oil C: HT/HS = 3.0, VI=147

All three oils are "full synthetic" 5W-20 products with a Vis @40C between 50-53 cSt, Vis@100C between 8.7-9.0 cSt.

How can there be such a significant difference in HT/HS values?

HTHS viscosity is inversely proportional to viscosity index.... so, viscosity index improvers at play would be my guess.

HTHS viscosity is inversely proportional to viscosity index.... so, viscosity index improvers at play would be my guess.
Probably an oversimplification of the scenario, but it sounds like:

Lighter base oils, more VII = higher VI, lower HT/HS
Heavier base oils, fewer/no VII = generally lower VI, higher HT/HS

I assume that you can only have a certain amount of variation in the final outcome if you are staying within the prescribed J300 boundaries.

Probably an oversimplification of the scenario, but it sounds like:

Lighter base oils, more VII = higher VI, lower HT/HS
Heavier base oils, fewer/no VII = generally lower VI, higher HT/HS

I assume that you can only have a certain amount of variation in the final outcome if you are staying within the prescribed J300 boundaries.

Especially when going to lighter base oils. But that's exactly why those boundaries are there.

Base oils vary in density and pressure-viscosity coefficient, which affects the dynamic viscosity and thus the HTHS. Blends of different base oils are used to achieve desired results.
And different base oils can be used to manipulate these characteristics and increase the VI in a finished lube, like mPAO, I was recently educated on by a certain somebody we both know ;)

And different base oils can be used to manipulate these characteristics and increase the VI in a finished lube, like mPAO, I was recently educated on by a certain somebody we both know ;)

I feel like mPAO doesn't get enough recognition. You'd be hard fought to find a more shear stable base oil that also extends the drain interval, improves foam/aeration resistance, greater OFT, and lower friction.

Thought mPAO was on the thicker side and a bit expensive for D1.3 lubes and the like … used in industrial lubes etc …

Back