Valvoline

Good morning fellow Bitogers. As you folks, I think of lubricants often or I wouldn't be here. I have been using Valvoline products exclusively for over 30 years. I like others were disappointed when they were bought out by Aramco. I started using a different brand of lubricants. But after thinking long and hard, I come to the conclusion that if myself and others refuse to purchase their products the only folks who would suffer are the American employees in Lexington, Kentucky. The fat cat billionaires will still be fine. How many of us have Japanese or Korean cars and trucks that are built by Americans? The way I see it, It is still operated here in this country, And if the current employees are happy with their working conditions, And if they don't cheapen the products, I will continue to use them. Please comment as we have lots of good folks on this board with good thoughts.

Good morning fellow Bitogers. As you folks, I think of lubricants often or I wouldn't be here. I have been using Valvoline products exclusively for over 30 years. I like others were disappointed when they were bought out by Aramco. I started using a different brand of lubricants. But after thinking long and hard, I come to the conclusion that if myself and others refuse to purchase their products the only folks who would suffer are the American employees in Lexington, Kentucky. The fat cat billionaires will still be fine. How many of us have Japanese or Korean cars and trucks that are built by Americans? The way I see it, It is still operated here in this country, And if the current employees are happy with their working conditions, And if they don't cheapen the products, I will continue to use them. Please comment as we have lots of good folks on this board with good thoughts.
Exactly. Well put.

I don’t think they’ll make a lesser product even if they lower production costs … Valvoline has a large presence in drive-line fluids and motor oils - with a great deal of that having OEM approvals …

*For a GDI engine , the Valvoline Advanced 10W30 / 5W30 still have very good specs which again are suitable for a GDI engine - Conversely , it has been bumped down to my #2 pick now as M1 10W30 / 5W30 have slightly better specs now for a GDI engine .

I made pretty much this same argument in that an the rail and and just a little bit cRaZy thread about Super Tech

" ... I would prefer Valvoline would remain a majority U.S.A. owned and run business, But if the Saudi's keep the workforce employed and sustain or improve the product I am not going to get in a tizzy over top level ownership. Sam Mitchell is still the C.E.O. The stock is publicly traded. Historically Aramco was a Texaco and Esso venture with the Saudi's - I am sure other are more well versed on this history lesson than my simplistic and woefully incomplete "Double Jeopardy !" answer. Much scarier to me is ARAMCO 100% owning the largest refinery in Texas - and the U.S. !

I think most recently, I was somewhat upset with Castrol phasing out of their Magnatec line, one of the better oils out there - and I don't have any love for any other Castrol products in their ILSAC offerings. Lot's of slippery fish in the oil pond - I moved on."

the actual production facility remains physically located in the usa, employing american workers, subject to ultimate american control (“physical possession in 9/10s of the law”). the product continues its high quality standards (subject to the usual bitog splitting of hairs). saudi aramco didn’t close the facility, loot the company, abscond with proprietary technology and remove this production capability forever from the usa. perhaps, i don’t know, but perhaps, aramco as enthusiastic new owners invested more funds to upgrade the facility and compensate workers better than did the previous owners. if anything, aramco’s investment is a vote of confidence in america. not all foreign investment is predatory by any stretch of one’s imagination. i might be worried more about the results of the pritzker family acquisition of warren, which has been discussed aplenty on these pages.

my vw passat is a german car built in america. my toyota yaris is a japanese car built in france. valvoline remains one of many respectable motor oils that certainly meets current specifications. should i not happily use all three with confidence?

I was disappointed with the Aramco purchase to where I was thinking I wouldn't buy Valvoline again either, but I'm coming back around. It's the realization that Aramco already owns the largest oil refinery in the US anyway, a few of us on a forum choosing not to buy jugs of oil feels like such a drop in the bucket anyway.

I'm probably going to continue using Valvoline the same exact way that I did before, which is when the price is right compared to its competitors. If Valvoline synthetics are cheaper in the moment when I need to buy oil than the Mobil 1/Pennzoil/Castrol products are, then I will choose the Valvoline product. If Valvoline is more expensive (which has recently been the case at Walmart) then I will choose one of the others.

As long as the product stays the same or gets better at similar price points to what it is now, that's all that matters. If the quality lessens or prices are severely raised, buh-bye.

Well said totally agree.

All my vehicles ran on the white bottle Valvoline and I have never had an issue. As I got older, better vehicles, and better oils became available I started using the blend and full synthetic. I have never had a problem over the years. My son switched his 2010 Crown Vic police interceptor over to Valvoline EP last oil change from Motorcraft and it started to use a little oil. I am not sure if it will level out and stop or if he should switch back?

All my vehicles ran on the white bottle Valvoline and I have never had an issue. As I got older, better vehicles, and better oils became available I started using the blend and full synthetic. I have never had a problem over the years. My son switched his 2010 Crown Vic police interceptor over to Valvoline EP last oil change from Motorcraft and it started to use a little oil. I am not sure if it will level out and stop or if he should switch back?
Have him try the quaker state full synthetic in his crown vic. This stuff makes my gramd marquis 4.6l so smooth.

Back