Valvoline/Zerex now offers the Asian coolant in green

As mentioned, disappointed recently to see that area WMs had dropped the topic Valvoline/Zerex Asian Formula PHOAT AF's from store shelves. It was an excellent everyday price for a true Asian PHOAT, no 2eha. That makes/made it the same PHOAT profile AF type as the genuine Asian OEM AFs. It was the same as the ZAF sold at AP stores, just a lower price.

It seems WM replaced it with another well known brand which previously used 2eha in their Asian "labeled" AFs. It appears now that specific recognition of 2eha no longer on label, replaced by word "Proprietary" inhibitor. MSDS still shows it, though it is a few years old. I 'suspect' it's still the same and thus I have no interest in that product.

So 'for me' if I was looking for aftermarket Asian AF it would be topic Valv/Zerex sold at AP stores and Peak OET Asian AF, both known true Asian PHOAT type AFs.

Last edited:
As mentioned, disappointed recently to see that area WMs had dropped the topic Valvoline/Zerex Asian Formula PHOAT AF's from store shelves. It was an excellent everyday price for a true Asian PHOAT, no 2eha. That makes/made it the same PHOAT profile AF type as the genuine Asian OEM AFs. It was the same as the ZAF sold at AP stores, just a lower price.

It seems WM replaced it with another well known brand which previously used 2eha in their Asian "labeled" AFs. It appears now that specific recognition of 2eha no longer on label, replaced by word "Proprietary" inhibitor. MSDS still shows it, though it is a few years old. I 'suspect' it's still the same and thus I have no interest in that product.

So 'for me' if I was looking for aftermarket Asian AF it would be topic Valv/Zerex sold at AP stores and Peak OET Asian AF, both known true Asian PHOAT type AFs.

I bought/ordered the Valvoline from Walmart and had it delivered. It's free shipping.

They have had the green for a long time never at Walmart though my Walmart only carries Prestone and SuperTech multi vehicle stuff which I don’t buy so I have to go to the parts place. I have the green because that’s what my grandmas Kia takes is that green.

old world/peak doesn’t use 2eha in their mainline coolant. i’d use their asian formula no problem

old world/peak doesn’t use 2eha in their mainline coolant. i’d use their asian formula no problem
Either you didn't read the entire quoted post or you misunderstood it.

Nowhere is Peak's "mainline' coolant" (not sure what that means) noted in the post. Otoh, "Peak's OET Asian AF" is specifically stated as one the two Asian AF's I'd use because of their inhibitor pack profile. It is true, that Peak's PGL and 10X don't use 2eha, but that's not OP topic AF type.

As for being able to get Valv/Zerex Asian on WM.com, I do see it through two outside vendors, Zoro and AAP (Advance), the latter charges no shipping through WM.com however for both price is significantly more (~$20/gal) than the $12.50-$13.50/gal off the store shelf when WM stocked it in local stores. As the OP noted, not there anymore and no WM store order for pick up.

Last edited:
I just confirmed for myself that WM no longer carries the Valvoline Zerex. At $13 a gallon it was a good value for a premix. You can still order it on line. It's priced at $13.85. But no free shipping unless it's over $75. So tack on $5 for delivery. I can almost get it at that price locally.

And as mentioned, it's been replaced with Peak pink Asian formula....specifically mentioning Toyota - Lexus - Scion just as the Zerex does. The problem is that's it $17.99 a gallon. If I'm going to pay that much I'm better off buying the Zerex from another source.....or even SLLC for not much more.

I like the Zerex and am going to stick with it. NAPA has it for $17.99. Advance is right down the road from me though. They gladly priced matched.

Screenshot_2020-12-08-10-38-02.png

Snag a couple of gallons for an upcoming DAF on the Tacoma.

20201208_110925.jpg

I just confirmed for myself that WM no longer carries the Valvoline Zerex. At $13 a gallon it was a good value for a premix. You can still order it on line. It's priced at $13.85. But no free shipping unless it's over $75. So tack on $5 for delivery. I can almost get it at that price locally.

And as mentioned, it's been replaced with Peak pink Asian formula....specifically mentioning Toyota - Lexus - Scion just as the Zerex does. The problem is that's it $17.99 a gallon. If I'm going to pay that much I'm better off buying the Zerex from another source.....or even SLLC for not much more.

I like the Zerex and am going to stick with it. NAPA has it for $17.99. Advance is right down the road from me though. They gladly priced matched.

View attachment 36148

Snag a couple of gallons for an upcoming DAF on the Tacoma.

View attachment 36149

Napa has a house brand Asian coolant on sale for $14.99 this month, available in red and blue. It is probably Peak OET

Napa has a house brand Asian coolant on sale for $14.99 this month, available in red and blue. It is probably Peak OET
I guess after years of faithful service in many Toyotas I'm just comfortable with using it. More than likely an irrational thought. But still.....for has often as I actually buy coolant, it's not big deal every once in awhile

I must say, I'm not so sure Peak OET Asian formulas are any different from what Prestone has done. Take a look at the attached two pictures of the backs of the bottles. I'm using the blue one as an example, but the green and red are the same. On the old bottle, it suspiciously reads very similar to the older Peak Long Life formula, noting NJTSRN QT1 as an ingredient. On the newer bottle, this notation is absent and it now only states "proprietary corrosion inhibitors."

Another interesting note, neither bottle makes any specific mention that 2EHA is not present. They do mention the formula is free of silicate, nitrite and amines. They used this as a key selling point on Global Lifetime. Why not mention it here? Their website doesn't specifically mention 2EHA isn't present in any of the Asian formulas either.

Unfortunately, the picture I attached of the old bottle is very small once opened and doesn't clearly show the ingredients. To clearly view it, please go go to Napa's website (www.napaonline.com) and look up part PEA PAB0B3. You'll be able to images of both the front and backs of the bottle and zoom into each. Since our topic is the green version, the part number for that one is PEA PAG0B3. Want to see the red version? It's part number PEA PAR0B3.

Attachments

• PEAK OET Blue Asian - new bottle.jpeg
    PEAK OET Blue Asian - new bottle.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 23
  • PEAK OET Blue Asian - old bottle.png
    PEAK OET Blue Asian - old bottle.png
    340.6 KB · Views: 22
I must say, I'm not so sure Peak OET Asian formulas are any different from what Prestone has done. Take a look at the attached two pictures of the backs of the bottles. I'm using the blue one as an example, but the green and red are the same. On the old bottle, it suspiciously reads very similar to the older Peak Long Life formula, noting NJTSRN QT1 as an ingredient. On the newer bottle, this notation is absent and it now only states "proprietary corrosion inhibitors."
Peak doesn’t even use 2EHA when they are supposed to on their blue G48 analog and sub in benzoate. I doubt they’ll use it on the asian coolants either.

Regardless 2EHA has never been a problem with asian vehicles. You’re paying for the correct color which is more than worth the premium.

Another interesting note, neither bottle makes any specific mention that 2EHA is not present. They do mention the formula is free of silicate, nitrite and amines. They used this as a key selling point on Global Lifetime. Why not mention it here? Their website doesn't specifically mention 2EHA isn't present in any of the Asian formulas either.

Unfortunately, the picture I attached of the old bottle is very small once opened and doesn't clearly show the ingredients. To clearly view it, please go go to Napa's website (www.napaonline.com) and look up part PEA PAB0B3. You'll be able to images of both the front and backs of the bottle and zoom into each. Since our topic is the green version, the part number for that one is PEA PAG0B3. Want to see the red version? It's part number PEA PAR0B3.

When the OET first came out, somebody on here emailed Peak/OWI and they responded saying the Asian OET does not contain 2-EHA :)

Makes sense. I just find the lack of mentioning it on the label intriguing. Also interesting is that on the Peak OET American Gold, they do mention it doesn't contain 2EHA on both the bottle and on their website. From a marketing standpoint, I would figure folks who are buying that formula aren't going to care as much as folks who are buying the Asian formulas. I wish there was a way we could learn what was in NJTSRN QT1. Whatever it is, it supplements the 2EHA that was in Long Life and now supplements some of the OET formulations.

Oh well, in the end it really doesn't matter because 2EHA works fine in everything.

Makes sense. I just find the lack of mentioning it on the label intriguing. Also interesting is that on the Peak OET American Gold, they do mention it doesn't contain 2EHA on both the bottle and on their website. From a marketing standpoint, I would figure folks who are buying that formula aren't going to care as much as folks who are buying the Asian formulas. I wish there was a way we could learn what was in NJTSRN QT1. Whatever it is, it supplements the 2EHA that was in Long Life and now supplements some of the OET formulations.

Oh well, in the end it really doesn't matter because 2EHA works fine in everything.

I found the post, from @Sayjac

I found the post, from @Sayjac
Good link.

As linked, when Peak OET Asian first introduced I emailed Peak/ Old World to confirm it was true Asian AF PHOAT tech, no 2eha. As noted that makes it same AF inhibitor type profile as the OEM Asian AFs. In fact, the only Asian 'labled' AF afaik that had/has 2eha as inhibitor is from the other manufacturer noted in my initial post here. So at this point that makes the latter the outlier in advertised aftermarket Asian AF's. So others like Valvoline/Zerex and Peak OET Asian likely see no need to state what should 'imo,' be assumed as standard when advertising 'Asian' AF's.

As noted, I did see Valv/Zerex Asian available through WM.com. from Zoro at $13 and change, but $5 shipping added put it in same range as WM.com AAP price that includes shipping. For AAP, a 25% off code can almost always be found for online order with store pick up so that would currently make it ~15$, not bad. But not as good as the daily off shelf price WM stores used to have.

First I'm reading about a Napa branded Asian AFs, I do see it advertised in the monthly circular. Surprised my local franchised Napa shows it for pick up today. Since I'm aware that Peak/Old World supplies the Napa branded DexCool, the speculation that it's Peak OET seems reasonable. Without seeing it up close or more info though, wouldn't want to say for certain.

Wait for a sale at napa, I got the blue zerex for around 10-11 a while back. I did a drain and fill on a 10yr old Honda with 15k miles...I used the leftover blue in my Mazda which has the green. The color doesn't really matter, if you have a green color color just don't use the red and it won't turn brown. I topped off with the blue and it looked the same. Knowing Walmart they are probably trying to get a Supertech Asian in the works.

Wait for a sale at napa, I got the blue zerex for around 10-11 a while back. I did a drain and fill on a 10yr old Honda with 15k miles...I used the leftover blue in my Mazda which has the green. The color doesn't really matter, if you have a green color color just don't use the red and it won't turn brown. I topped off with the blue and it looked the same. Knowing Walmart they are probably trying to get a Supertech Asian in the works.

I really hope that the ST Asian that eventually comes out will be Peak and not Prestone :cry: :unsure:

I really hope that the ST Asian that eventually comes out will be Peak and not Prestone...
While possible, I'm skeptical WM/ST will enter the Asian PHOAT AF market with an equivalent AF. Asian AF is still a relatively niche market, especially as compared to the 'universals' which still dominate AP store shelves. Currently and for years afaik, ST universal dexclone AF is all they offer, I don't see that changing in the near future.

Back