Valvoline Synpower...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else ever used this injector cleaner?

I swear it works really well. I have used it for several years. I just ran a tank of gas treated with the Synpower in two of my vehicles. Both of them are running much better IMO. The idle on my daily driver Sunbird is much smoother and it is running better, not that it was bad before. I just ran a tank treated with Sypower in my wife's GTP. It also seems to run better and idle smoother.

I run a bottle every oil change. This past time in both vechicles, I let the tank get almost empty before filling up. In my opinion, it works better when you do that.

I use Redline which works very well. I use a bottle every 5K miles to a full tank and a maintenence dose at every fill up. I usually use BP gasoline.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
So if you have BP gasoline in the US do you have BP oils??

Never seen any BP oils here even at BP stations.

Fred..
smile.gif

I've used it several times & it does make a difference in the performance. In fact....I've tried several other fuel cleaners too but the Valvoline SynPower injector cleaner yielded the most noticeable difference for me...even more than Techron.

Synpower is a great product!!! I've had better results with it. It is comparable to REDLINE and better than Techron!!1

Synpower always worked well for me in the past. I think they may have reformulated it and made it even better. The last two times I used it, I let the tank get low before adding the Synpower and I didn't fill up again until I was practically running on fumes. I did this recently on the two separate vehicles I mentioned. Both run much,much better, and they ran great before!!

I'm still going to give Techron a shot.

If it works great that is fine, but what is in the stuff? Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner uses Techron, which is already in Chevron gasoline-it is just in more concentrated amounts. As long as the Valvoline Synpower is safe for seals and everything, and if it works good, then that is great.

I have noticed with Chevron Techron that if a fuel injector gets partially plugged, Chevron Techron by itself may not be strong enough to clear the injector.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Anecdotes are fine, but does anyone know what this stuff really is? Some form of napthalene (sp?)?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Taken from this thread
web page

was going through the valvoline msds list the other day, and i noticed that the "synpower" treatments is pretty much kerosene.
(complete fuel system cleaner)
Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by weight)
KEROSENE 8008-20-6 52.0- 62.0
LT HYDROTREATED PETROLEUM DISTILLATE 64742-47-8 28.0- 38.0
STODDARD SOLVENT 8052-41-3 6.0- 16.0

synpower synthetic gas treatment
Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by weight)
KEROSENE 8008-20-6 92.0-100.0
GASOLINE PERFORMANCE ADDITIVE 1.0- 8.0

[ October 06, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: timmy8151 ]

Anecdotes are fine, but does anyone know what this stuff really is? Some form of napthalene (sp?)?

--- Bror Jace
I assume we are talking about Fuel additive, not oil additives!
Do you think you could use naphthalene as a Fuel additive.
Or are you just bashing a Valvoline Product?

[ October 06, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: johnsha ]

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
So if you have BP gasoline in the US do you have BP oils??

BP oils carry the Castrol label here. In some areas, BP fuels are sold under the ARCO, AMOCO, an BP brands.

Ken

"I assume we are talking about Fuel additive, not oil additives! Do you think you could use naphthalene as a Fuel additive. Or are you just bashing a Valvoline Product?"

I was asking about the fuel additive. I thought that Synpower might have some form of naptha in it ... which I onced used as a solvent to clean oil based paint off me.

timmy8151, Mostly kerosene, eh? I suppose I could belive that. Of course that just makes it less likely I'd even consider buying it.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

I've used Valvoline, STP, Rislone, and other fuel injector cleaners. Don't know whether any of them are of much use. Read that you should not need fuel injector cleaners since gasoline already contains cleaners. Likewise, I am not sure dry gas is needed since many gasolines have alcohol in them. I wonder if the Ford, GM, etc recommend using these types of products?

TallPaul, I used to also think that if I used Premium fuel all the time, I'd never need the OTC f.s. cleaners.

However, since about 150k mi., I get a cold knock when starting. I've found that regular use of a f.s. cleaner cures this. So either I have a stuck valve or lifter. Maybe there's cleaning or some lubricating properties (or both) that are taking place, but I will make sure I use it regularily. I use Castrol Syntec Premium F.S. cleaner...bottle says every 3k mi.. That's a good interval. I refuse to use something at every fill-up. That's nonsense.

Actually, there is nothing new under the sun.
Kerosene, and alcohol and even naptha are common ingredients to all these additives.
It's a lot cheaper to buy white kero for injector cleaning, and of course it's safe to run it, it's petrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back