Valvoline Syn. Grease 14oz tube

In my one grease gun I have Valvoline Syn. grease w/moly go firm/dry on me. It doesn't want to pump nicely from the grease gun and the grease seems dry. I know some oil has separated and leaked out. This tube is about 4 years old. It happen to the previous tube of the same grease as well. Doesn't even feel slippery.

Anyone else have this happen? Basically the grease seems dry, doesn't even want to attach to anything, just falls off.

I checked my other greases: mystik JT6 High temp., mystik JT6 w/moly, Schaeffers 238 and Amsoil Series 2000 and they all are normal and some of them older than the Valvoline Syn.

Since I have so many greases and grease guns going. I am going to discountinue and use one of the other in place of it. probably the mystik w/moly.

Just venting...

Last edited:
Ive experienced the same. I dont know why it happens, only that its annoying when it does. Anecdotally, it seems to happen a lot more slowly in tins with lids, maybe due to less paths for oxygen to get in? I once noticed a tin of copper grease starting to seperate so I stirred it with a fork in a drill until it looked 'normal' again but this is not as easy with a grease-gun. Maybe you need to use them up quicker?
grin.gif

Every grease I've had has seperated to some extent. I've moved my grease guns into the basement and make sure I've backed the plunger off. This constant temperature seems to have helped significantly.

Yup, I just had same issue with a new tube. I really wanted to like valvoline full synthetic grease but I just can’t get past how it seems dried out, out of a brand new tube. I’m sure it does lubricate but after switching to valvoline cobalt ,a lithium sulphonate base and when it touches a surface it stays on the surface. I feel much better using the cobalt.

Back