Grease drying in gun???

I use Valvoline Gray grease. It says Full Synthetic Moly-Fortified NLGI #2 CG-LB Lithium Complex EP Grease.

A tube will in theory last me 1-2 years, but it keeps drying out in the gun and must be thrown away. It turns into play-doh and won't pump. I commonly trash a tube that is only 5% used. This has happened for years with about 15 tubes of this Valvoline.

Why is the grease turning to pla-doh? Is this what's happening in my vehicle too? It's just annoying/wasteful to throw away so many tubes.

I'm watching for reply on this as well. I bought two tubes a couple years ago and hadn't used them. I did a wheel bearing on my truck last weekend and I was going to use some of the grease and it had separated and kinda hardened up into a crumbly play doh like consistency. I tried mixing it up but it was crumbling and not really the consistency of grease. I've used Mobil1 synthetic in the past and it just likes to drool everywhere but seems to stay an actual grease consistency. I ended up using a tub of Valvoline synth blend high temp wheel bearing grease that I have had for who knows how long and it looks the same as the day I bought it.

It's the fault of the grease you use not the gun. If the grease turns to crud in the gun, what do you think it will do where you pump it into a zerk?

It's the fault of the grease you use not the gun. If the grease turns to crud in the gun, what do you think it will do where you pump it into a zerk?
Dont think he was blaming the gun, just wondering why the grease is doing this. Id like to know as well, is the valvoline synth stuff that bad? I'm guessing so since Ive seen it happen myself still in the tubes and never used. Maybe if it stays warm and under load in a joint or bearing it doesn't do this but I'd be skeptical about using it ever again.

Release the oil to do the lubrication like it's supposed to, except it's a moving part so the thickener keeps getting mixed back in.

Store the gun in a cooler area. Store on its side, flip over every now and then.

I have that same grease in my gun right now. Yes it drips some oil out so I store wrapped in newspaper, on a sheet of cardboard, but the same tube lasts me a few years, meaning I am able to use it up and the gun pumps it fine. Maybe your gun is making poor pressure? Then again you stated play doh consistency which is worse than mine has ever gotten. Same thing with the Mobile 1 red, except it seems to lose oil a little slower than the Valvoline Syn Moly.

What application are you using this in? I hated that problem and switched to a polyurea grease and use this stuff exclusively now. On paper it seemed like a much better grease and since it’s not a soap based it has much much less oil separation.

Can’t really answer your question. Maybe it’s the specific formulation they are using? I will say at work we have all sorts of different brand “industrial” lithium/lithium complex greases and they all separate like crazy especially in the environments they get stored in.

What application are you using this in? I hated that problem and switched to a polyurea grease and use this stuff exclusively now. On paper it seemed like a much better grease and since it’s not a soap based it has much much less oil separation.

Can’t really answer your question. Maybe it’s the specific formulation they are using? I will say at work we have all sorts of different brand “industrial” lithium/lithium complex greases and they all separate like crazy especially in the environments they get stored in.
Just looking for some sort of all-purpose grease, typically for vehicle/trailer/mower/skidloader applications. Drive shafts, tie-rods, hubs, ball joints, mower spindles etc. I think I should be looking for GC-LB grease??? What type of grease are you using? I don't want to have to rotate the gun, use paper towels, stand on my head. Just want to pick up the gun and pump grease. Seems like it's always such a process.

Same here. I used Lucas Red n Tacky for years but it leaked out of the gun in the summer and made a mess. Switched to polyurea (Lucas Xtra HD or JD SD) 2+ years ago and not a single drip from my gun through two summers. Much more stable than other greases, and I use it on everything.

Try a shear stable Polyurethane grease. {Lucas/ John Deere types] They stay "wet" longer.

Try a shear stable Polyurethane grease. {Lucas/ John Deere types] They stay "wet" longer.
Basically doesn’t exist anymore.

But yes, sheer stable polyurea greases are best.

Lighter base oil greases - especially full synthetics, tend to bleed out more.

Dried out grease vs non. Sat in my garage for about 2 years. In a grease gun I barely use (needle greaser.)

Attachments

• 64278CDD-42E1-41E5-92A1-05770CF914A8.jpeg
    64278CDD-42E1-41E5-92A1-05770CF914A8.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 38
I have the same issue with the Valvoline Synthetic grease. I switched to other greases that don’t do this. Scaeffers 238 and Mystik jt6 high temp and mystik jt6 w/moly
have to agree Schaeffer's #274 or #238 is really good,if cant fine go with Mystik JT-6 red high temp grease for your use, its GC-LB certified, or the semi-synthetic Mystik JT-6 (blue) grease is my favorite.

Back