Valvoline Premium Blue Restore

As a side note the Restore is recommended for only 5K in gasoline engines as I recall. Not sure why, but my logic, if you can call it such, was that perhaps by blending with the V10w30 I would be able to use the the eight quarts of Restore over a period of 10K miles. And I would not be using any of the oil over 5K.
Just a thought.

I've blended M1 0-40 with M1 racing oil using M1 0-16 to thin it out a mite for the last 18K miles. I'm not skittish on blending. Everything is a compromise.

Last edited:
As a side note the Restore is recommended for only 5K in gasoline engines as I recall. Not sure why, but my logic, if you can call it such, was that perhaps by blending with the V10w30 I would be able to use the the eight quarts of Restore over a period of 10K miles. And I would not be using any of the oil over 5K.
Just a thought.

I've blended M1 0-40 with M1 racing oil using M1 0-16 to thin it out a mite for the last 18K miles. I'm not skittish on blending. Everything is a compromise.

Fully formulated and vetted motor oils are blends. Taking random fully formulated products and mixing them together is mixing. When the mix has been put through the same variety of sequences and tests then it becomes a blend. The results of those tests will determine the calibre.

Fair enough O.K., however the gist of my post concerns the use of Restore in a Theta II GDI 2.0T engine using almost half a liter every 4K kilometers whilst staring down 180K kilometers on the speedo.

Your point is noted. Mostly for being off-topic.

With VPBR touting 1400 Zinc I think I see the reasoning behind the 5K gasoline OC recommendation.

Still, that's a grand shy of M1 racing oil ...

Heck, at $70 a gallon I can run an OCI of this PREMIUM oil and still be about the same cost as some overpriced Amsoil or Schaeffers in my 6.0 PSD! :) :)

Probably 3/4 times the quality as either supposed "premium synthetic"

Heck, at $70 a gallon I can run an OCI of this PREMIUM oil and still be about the same cost as some overpriced Amsoil or Schaeffers in my 6.0 PSD! :) :)

Probably 3/4 times the quality as either supposed "premium synthetic"
That's not how math works.

Amsoil Max Duty 10W-30: $45.60 (Without membership), $34 with membership.
Schaeffers SynShield Ultra 10W-30: $29.41

Now, we could attempt to factor in "quality", as you mentioned, to determine a quality-adjusted price, but how are you determining "quality"? Where are you getting your assumption that Valvoline Premium Blue Restore is "probably 3/4 times" the quality of either of the brands mentioned above? How do you determine an engine oil's performance at a per dollar basis? Is "3/4 times" the cleaning ability akin to $2? $3? Are we grading on a curve, since both the above-mentioned brands can be had at less than half the price of VPBR? What about where VPBR fails to meet the same "quality" as the brands mentioned above? Do you subtract a set value?

Making claims or suggestions like this is absolute nonsense, and adds nothing to this board.

If you have an oil burner and suspect that it is due to carbon coking then this is a viable option to try and mitigate the consumption issue. The difference between this and most boutiques is the massive amount of a specific ester that dissolves carbon in the ring lands and control rings. It would not be used except in that specific case. Finding the specific ester in the large proportion in another oil would be a non-starter. Finding any ester in levels higher than 20% would be a trick in and of itself. Red Line, MPT any others?

Is this (or one of their other oils listed) anything close to the Valvoline Restore. I've never tried any of Hot Shots stuff so I know nothing about it. Their claim of " 15W-40 is a 100% pure poly-α-olefin (PAO) Group IV synthetic oil" did catch my eye though.

Would this oil be a good for prophylactic on a '05 Passat TDI with 200k miles? It has a little bit of blow by but it's been religiously maintained at the dealer up until 180k with their oil. When I purchase it with 180 I start putting Shell T6 in it only, removed EGR. I did not use any oil additives but for the first 10,000 I changed the oil pretty much every 3,000 mi just to "flush" engine. I did valve cover gasket and I checked out camshaft and lobes, they looked really good, so thinking partially blow by due to old rings or maybe some carbon buildup?

Back