Valvoline or TGMO 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Toyota 0W20 question. (or two)

2014 Corolla; Synthetic 0W20. 10,000 OCI specified with free oil changes every 10K thru 60K

Dealer originally said they use TGMO single bottles; evidently that has changed as I recently found out they are now using bulk Valvoline 0W20 (Synpower?)

They do have the TGMO 0W20 in single quarts as I bought one for top offs if needed and I can specify using it (I always use the same service writer and he said he would make sure TGMO is used but there may or may not be an additional charge) This is actually a pretty good dealer and they take pretty good care of their customers. Been buying from and using them for many years.

Does it really matter - Valvoline or TGMO? I am inclined to specify the TGMO. If there is an additional charge it should be minimal.

Also: 10,000 OCI; I had the oil changed at just under 5K on my dime and just had the second at 10,000. Normal (not severe) service; should I stay with 5K intervals and pay for every other one or go ahead with 10K intervals. I tend to keep a car for a long time and fresh oil is comparat6ively cheap insurance.

Thanks

Last edited:
Your personal choice , I would opt for Toyota's syn. Especially if they do not charge extra.

I've had good results with VSP - more so then Mobil 1 AFE 0w20. Much less sticking on the chain tensioner over 3 different cars and excellent fuel mileage.

"TGMO" is specified by Toyota as ANY ILSAC GF5 meeting the viscosity recommendation on your OM and filler cap.

LOL "cheap insurance" I think we should put in a vote, is it the most used excuse?

10K OCI on TGMO if cost is not an issue, you could easily go longer with using a UOA to verify. But free oil changes at 10k OCI with SynPower will be just fine.

If I were you, I would do TGMO at toyota specified intervals and not worry about it.

I'd use the TGMO first although there is nothing wrong with the Valvoline 0W-20.

I'd continue the 5,000 mile intermediate changes on your own.

I have two Camry's and have done that myself on both cars.

If the dealer tries to hold you up on the TGMO upgrade, certainly just use the "free" Valvoline.

It's a Corolla -- a grocery getter.

Go with whatever they use and sleep well. VSP is more than capable of doing its job. Bumper will fall off before the engine dies.

I would NOT go 10k blind unless you put over 25k a year with lots of highway. Our subi oil is toast by 7K in the forester - in fact Subaru just shrunk the OCI interval to 6K miles using "synthetic" on the 2015's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sir1900

Go with whatever they use and sleep well. VSP is more than capable of doing its job. Bumper will fall off before the engine dies.
WHT is a "grocery getter?" A Ford Freestar is a grocery getter! 1.6l will likely be MORE stressed than your big v6 or 8. I know mine is - in fact its dead in under 2000 miles. Another Junk new car engine in that Renault Nissan.

I hate responses like this. As if his question is a nuisance or an imposition because the vehicle is a economy car.

No one would ever say this about a bottom of the line C-Class or a BMW 1-Series, etc...

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I hate responses like this. As if his question is a nuisance or an imposition because the vehicle is a economy car.

No one would ever say this about a bottom of the line C-Class or a BMW 1-Series, etc...

I like groceries.

So I'd keep this car in top form!!!

Yes, to some. And others have to sacrifice buying some groceries for the ability to own a car. Is there really a need to debase the vehicle, while at the same time providing reasonable advice?

Anyway, I would do the 5k interval if it was mine without UOA, and would extend to 10k if a UOA demonstrated it was feasible.

I would go with the one that is easiest to find and cheapest to purchase. I doubt that any significant differnce will be noticed by you or the vehicle.

Absolutely on point.

Your Civic is a grocery getter also but you use Royal Purple?

Both oils are overkill for 5,000 OCI. I'd choose the Toyota synthetic and try to push the OCI to 10,000 miles (you could always do an UOA at about 8,500 miles to be sure).

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

Its price isn't insanely out of line up here, at least with respect to the notion that every synthetic is insanely out of line on pricing. It's priced between M1 and M1 EP at normal retail channels.

How about reading the rest of my post instead of picking apart what you wish to pick apart?

OP is asking VSP or TGMO. There really is no need to pay a premium for shorter OCIs and/or to pay extra for an oil that is perceived as better than the other. These cars end up in the junkyard because of rust before the engine dies. It needs nothing special.

OP asked a question, I offered my two cents. Sorry if you are offended.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

WHT is a "grocery getter?" A Ford Freestar is a grocery getter! 1.6l will likely be MORE stressed than your big v6 or 8. I know mine is - in fact its dead in under 2000 miles. Another Junk new car engine in that Renault Nissan.

You crack me up arco. I regularly beat the living daylights out of all my rides,after warm up and I've only destroyed 1 engine in my entire life. You manage to kill them with a few miles around the parking lot.

I hope it's under warranty

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

Yep and I change the oil out when the OLM reaches 0%. The RP was bought on sale in the US for much much cheaper than what we can get it for up here. Virtually all oil in my stash was purchased in the US. Prices in Canada are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back