Valvoline NextGen recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ram01
who knows maybe NexGen will have greater success than Pennzoil Ultra

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I almost bought a quart today for a VOA. It was all the talk at the auto parts store today, but as the crowd dispersed, no one had bought any. Maybe nobody was doing an oil change that day. Come to think of it, no one in the bunch had bought any oil.

i was at valvoline yesterday with a friend and they said here (in lexington, where nextgen was developed) they're selling it like crazy.

So far so good with mine. I wanted to run MaxLife anyway (syn blend and a little thicker) and with the $10 MIR, why wouldn't I try the NextGen?

I know everyone says it doesn't matter, but to me my VQ is quieter on MaxLife than anything else.

I just got a 5+ qt jug of NextGen Max Life and an STP filter for $19.99 at Autozone. With the $10 rebate, that's $10 total cost.

I can live with that!

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Props to Valvoline for being the first (that I am aware of) major oil producer to start a refined product.

Firestone has had recycled oil in their shops in select markets for a year. Not sure who makes it for them, but they usually use Kendall.

My Honda dealer burns all his for heat. I asked him if he was going to pay me for providing him fuel. He said, "no but it helps me keep the price I charge for OCs down".

I bought my 3rd five quart jug of Nextgen in the Maxlife variety. I normally like using fully synthetic. However, I think that any market share that the recycled oil can get, the better. I fully believe if enough market share is gained by the recycled oil market it will lead to re-refined synthetics. Then I will switch back to synthetic, or when nextgen fails, which I hope it does not. This is a very small portion of how much oil the US uses, but any way to conserve resources is good in my book. I will be changing oil in about three weeks, once I am done with finals week, and get a UOA on it, I will try getting a UOA on the other car as well. So I will hopefully have 2 UOA's on this oil (1) from a Dodge Intrepid, (1) from a Saturn SC2. I am not sure if I will use it in my car though since I changed my oil before this was released and when I am due for a change it will be winter, and I would never run conventional or a blend during a MN winter.

I also agree with the posters saying Valvoline needs to change their 3000 mile OCI recommendation.
@5qts per oil change
Valvoline Nextgen at 3,000 OCI, you need to refine 10 quarts of oil, and you also are using the same amount of virgin oil.

Any quality synthetic, Mobil 1, Synpower, Penz Plat, etc. you can run a 6000 mile oil change comfortably, you end up using the same amount of virgin resources. Howerver, you SAVE ENERGY because 5qts worth of refining energy has not been used.

Finally, if there is a 5k recommendation then you will have an environmental impact. At a 3k oil change interval though, it's just taking advantage of a green market and Valvoline knows they are [censored]'ing customers!

Overall, the benefits of running it for a 5k, perhaps a 6k, OCI and the energy saved from refiners is worth it; the market share of recycled oil needs to increase and then other big players will join in. Hopefully, Mobil and Castrol hop on the bandwagon next.

But that's Valvoline's deal: if you want to get the benefit of their 150,000 mile engine replacement warranty, you have to change the oil every 3000 miles. Valvoline probably has backing statistics to show that they won't lose their shirts at that OCI. If you want to extend your OCI past their requirement, you won't get the free engine if something happens.

Saw it at my local WM last week; same price as regular Max Life semi-syn at $4.59/qt. If I can get it on special with some savings, I'll use it. Otherwise I'll just stick to regular ML...

I think we're missing the underlying machinations here. In the retail world, shelf space is (nearly) everything. If Valvoline has just doubled their shelf space with nearly the same product at the same price.... that alone may be the motivation.

Now, I'd be upset if my favorite oil no longer fits on the shelf.

So who sells this stuff? I have never seen NextGen in any store, nor can I find it on walmart.com or Costco.com

Why only 50%?
They ought to go for 100% recycled oil. IMHO. Like my notepads and towels (technically 99.9% recycled)

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
So who sells this stuff? I have never seen NextGen in any store, nor can I find it on walmart.com or Costco.com

Why only 50%?
They ought to go for 100% recycled oil. IMHO. Like my notepads and towels (technically 99.9% recycled)

LOL, late to the party.

Know where I can buy new any cassette tapes? My Van Halen 1984 is getting a little worn out.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

Why only 50%?

LOL, late to the party.

Know where I can buy new any cassette tapes? My Van Halen 1984 is getting a little worn out.

I've been so bummed since the tape deck ate my 8-track of Toys In The Attic.

Valvoline quit making NextGen because they couldn't control its quality at even 50% recycled content. Never mind what 100% recycled would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back