Valvoline modern engine...opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline ME is on clearance for $20/jug (5 qt) at my local AZ, but can't find any real info on this oil. Just see that it's priced similar to M1 AP normally, but doesn't have any extended drain claims. Thinking of stocking up our farm shop for the work trucks if it really is a superior oil to other oils that can be had at this price (QSUD, magnatec, shell gas truck, etc).

Searching bitog hasn't come up with much other than their advertising for this oil sucks, which I can attest to after reading the bottle

For your viewing pleasure..
Valvoline Thread

And there's this...
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...age-in-valvoline-modern-engine-synthetic

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It was originally intended for usage in GDI engines and I think it pretty much flopped because of it's common reail price of $35 or more for a 5 quart jug. Most of what I have read suggests that Valvoline Advanced sythetic oil is a superior product at a much lower price point.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
It was originally intended for usage in GDI engines and I think it pretty much flopped because of it's common reail price of $35 or more for a 5 quart jug. Most of what I have read suggests that Valvoline Advanced sythetic oil is a superior product at a much lower price point.

I've seen Valvoline Advanced turn in stellar UOA's. Now the particular engine has a lot to do with this but you have to have a good lube to begin with.

The way Valvoline marketed this product line was not only confusing but the price point itself shuns people away. It's a good oil as all Valvoline oils are but from what I see it's either not available or on clearance.

If you can get it for a good price then go for it but their Advanced Synthetic is a great oil that is readily available.

There are most likely additives in this oil which wont show up in any VOA or UOA any of us will ever see. There could be a valid point to this oil in some applications.
If someone owns a vehicle prone to intake valve deposits where using this oil might offset the intake valves needing cleaned. And keeping them clean longer might provide a tiny long
term MPG benefit which makes the oil s additional cost pay for itself.

Their marketing is confusing. Modern vs Advance, different price, but I am confused about why it costs more and what does it do (extended drain? fix a certain problem? even lower wear? higher temperature?)

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Their marketing is confusing. Modern vs Advance, ...

Try Pennzoil and their brands marketing...

Originally Posted by Ignatius

So is any other D1G2 oil for half the price.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Their marketing is confusing. Modern vs Advance, different price, but I am confused about why it costs more and what does it do (extended drain? fix a certain problem? even lower wear? higher temperature?)

Exactly the way I feel about it so far...what's the point? Have plenty of regular M1 at the shop(bought on sale at Costco for ~$4/qt) for our newer gas farm trucks for the next few months, so only see a point in stocking up on $20 VME if anything were to suggest it were at least as good, if not better, than vanilla Mobil 1 (or QSUD or magnatec or rotella GT).

Guess I'll hold off until such evidence (whether objective or logically subjective) presents itself. All input appreciated!

The 0W20 wasn't selling at retail price at my local Meijer store so they have been on clearance for $13.99 a jug. Bought five jugs and have been using that on and off in the wife's Durango for 5k intervals.

Poorly marketed. Based on the price, I think there is something unique about this formulation, but Valvoline has been so tight lipped about it. It's also a bit confusing too. VFS has lower Noack volatility than ME. Unless this oil works in a way where the parts that are volatized and get passed the rings help clean the intake valves, I see nothing great about this oil at all. I'd argue that Mobil 1 since SN is superior to VME in keeping intake valves clean due to the SA of .8 and lower Noack. It's a big fail for Valvoline.

Just an update on this oil. They are using a special detergent that has resulted in up to a 40% reduction in intake valve deposits.

There is a patent somewhere on here that goes into some of the technical development of this oil. Walmart has stopped selling it.

I'd guess it contains some type of ester for solvency. The way it was explained to me is there will always be some amount of oil that reaches the intake valves. This oil contains that specific detergent to help reduce this build up.

With that said, I would say it's a nice option for a GDI engine. Not completely necessary, but an option.

Originally Posted by buster
Just an update on this oil. They are using a special detergent that has resulted in up to a 40% reduction in intake valve deposits.

There is a patent somewhere on here that goes into some of the technical development of this oil. Walmart has stopped selling it.

I'd guess it contains some type of ester for solvency. The way it was explained to me is there will always be some amount of oil that reaches the intake valves. This oil contains that specific detergent to help reduce this build up.

With that said, I would say it's a nice option for a GDI engine. Not completely necessary, but an option.

So the SA and Noack from the VME has no effect?

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by buster

So the SA and Noack from the VME has no effect?

I wouldn't say no effect, but the SA of the VME is unknown and the Noack has been improved (0w20 is 10% and 5w20 is 8.5%). The main benefit they are touting is the type of detergent used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back