Valvoline Mercon V vs Licenced Mercon V

Just ordered a couple cases of what was listed AS Mercon V on Amazon for a great deal, not the typical Valvoline "For Mercon V applications." The actual quarts have "for MV applications. This fluid is not licenced by Ford"

Is this just as good as the other official Merc V bottlers like Castrol/Motorcraft/SuperTech?

Should be just fine... I'd trust Valvoline.

What other specs does it claim to recommended for ??

No it isn’t as good to buy unlicensed ATF, and no, I wouldn’t.

Castrol MERCON V is “Certified and approved by Ford for all cars and trucks that require MERCON or MERCON V”. That’s what you want if you are not buying Motorcraft. The Castrol is 15% off now online at Pep Boys, $6.79 a quart.

OP you need to know this site is practically the church of Valvoline. Certified and licensed products are the Castrol and Motorcraft. Sure you will hear a bunch if “I trust XYZ” from complete strangers on some blog but “should work” are not the same as the words “certified and approved by Ford” printed on the label.

I just looked and the Castrol MERCON V is on sale for $4.23 a quart at walmart.com which is cheaper than the SuperTech.

Question is....

What other specs does this fluid claim to be recommended for ??

It is pertinent because if a fluid claims to meet two specifications that are obviously not compatible or diametrically opposed.... Then it does not make sense at all. Then it could easily not meet the spec that you need to to.

It will be fine, but you'd be better off with Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic ATF (or even Walmart brand). You're out of warranty, so you don't need a licensed Mercon V. Plus, you can upgrade to a synthetic ATF that lasts longer.

The pictures on Amazon clearly show the label that says it's not licensed. But if you got a case of 6 for $14, that's a great deal, and it's worth keeping and using. It won't cause any problems in your panther.

If you still want a licensed Mercon V, Walmart has their house brand Super Tech Mercon V, which is licensed. Castrol is also licensed, as others have pointed out.

Since your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one, if you haven't already done so. It will make future ATF changes much easier.

The reason why I asked the question in my first post here was to see if there are possible conflicting recommended specs made on that container of Valvoline. If there are specs that don't make sense being recommend together... Then that would definitely change my thinking of the circumstance.

I have put Coastal Dex/Merc in the lady's Camry... Granted Dexron III is no longer officially licensed by Ford... Neither is Mercon. But since the fluid claims to meet specs that are closely aligned... It actually makes sense.

Versus say a fluid that claimed to meet say Dexron III and Mercon V.... I would not trust that at all. Or say it claimed to meet Dexron III and say Mercon LV or if it also claimed to meet Dexron VI... No way I'd trust that. Never would trust that.

Last edited:
Looks like this is likely the same fluid that is on the sales section.. .

The description on there even clearly states this fluid is NOT recommended for Mercon LV, Mercon SP or ATF +4..... .

And it does not mention anything like Dexron VI etc...

If it did say it was recommended for some of those other specs that don't make any sense... Then it would be a not good situation.

But it does not do that.

I’m changing the fluid in my 2008 Escape tomorrow with the Castrol Mercon V it’s the only kind they had at the auto zone. Advance had the Valvoline but it was $1 more and they could order the Motorcraft for $2 more. Just be careful getting it from amazon my friends have gotten knock off products and stuff that way. I’m not allowed to order from amazon so I don’t have any experience with it.

I’m changing the fluid in my 2008 Escape tomorrow with the Castrol Mercon V it’s the only kind they had at the auto zone. Advance had the Valvoline but it was $1 more and they could order the Motorcraft for $2 more. Just be careful getting it from amazon my friends have gotten knock off products and stuff that way. I’m not allowed to order from amazon so I don’t have any experience with it.

Why aren't you allowed to order from Amazon? :unsure:

I still live with my parents and they don’t like Anazon because it puts the retail stores out of business so they blocked it on our WiFi and told me if I ordered anything I had to send it back lol.
oh ok that makes sense then

I thought you we banned for too many returns or something! (Amazon has banned many people for both legit and silly reasons, too many returns being one of the most common)

oh ok that makes sense then

I thought you we banned for too many returns or something! (Amazon has banned many people for both legit and silly reasons, too many returns being one of the most common)
Lol do they really ban people for that? That is so ridiculous lol 😂 now I do like eBay though I am allowed to order from there that’s where a lot of my tools have came from.

Back