Valvoline MaxLife ATF now includes CVT applications (as of 2021, May), Date Codes

I do appreciate their transparency on this matter:

1669750999745.jpg

I have two Nissan CVT's that I'm working on (old car / new car) both with the same Jatco JF009E (RE0F08B).

I the old tranny at 275k km was running well but I have been doing frequent oil changes over the last three years or so.
The new tranny has 160k km but looks like it has NEVER had a fluid change at all. Black as pitch and the tranny is slipping. I'm almost out of aftermarket "OEM" brand fluid and will give the new MaxLife formula a try in it soon.

Gears Magazine - Ins and Outs of the RE0F08B Jatco CVT - 2017

From what I can see the major issue with these trannys is not changing the fluid. There also seems to be a common failure of worn / split balls in the primary / secondary pulley shafts. Apparently some of the rebuild kits contain pins to replace some of the balls which eliminates this failure.

Nissan RE0F08B Overhaul Repair Kit Without Pistons - Precision International

The local dealer to price on NS-3 CVT fluid is $30/liter.
MaxLife ATF is currently $8/liter at WM and that's as close to a "good price" as I'll probably find for a while. Hopefully will report with positive results.

Last edited:
You can get Eneos Eco CVT fluid for $14 a quart at Napa.... And Eneos is the biggest oil and transmission fluid blender in Japan. They make many flyids for OEMs there.

I ran the Eneos Eco CVT on my Nissan Altima VQ with extremely good results.

I would use that way, way, way, way before running this new Valvoline universal fluid in my CVT...... Sorry but I would not volunteer to be a beta tester for a new additive package that anyone claims works in 4,5,6 etc speed automatic transmissions and supposedly CVTs too. Regular ATFs work on the coefficient of friction vs CVT working on a coefficient of traction.

Maybe Afton or some other additive supplier has solved that very large gap in how those fluids work within obviously very diverse set ups.

Fluids that are for Dexron VI etc say NOT use them in CVTs and DCTs... For good reason.

Conversely CVT fluids are not to be run in regular multispeed transmissions that is Dexron VI or Mercon LV etc etc...for good reason...

I would not guinea pig my vehicle on something this new.

This new additive package may well over a longer period of time prove to be extremely effective and work extremely well.

Another thing people forget to change.....the filters inside. They do eventually load up with shavings and whatever else. So regardless eventually all that debris is going to just circulate. If someone wants to cut them open, I will mail them. I change cvt with a cult like dedication and it has possibly payed off as the 9th gen Accord had some issues earlier not so much 16-17. Found another website listing the 60k or less between intervals for changing.

Attachments

• 20221126_183023.jpg
    20221126_183023.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20221129-074241.jpg
    Screenshot_20221129-074241.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 63
Why take a chance on a CVT fluid.... Just use OEM fluid....Its not like you are changing it every month...

I never saw a side-by-side comparison of any CVT fluid with a representative step-geared transmission fluid.
Pumps, valves and servos in either style unit likely match fluid performance needs but isn't the segmented steel band running against smooth tapered cones THE difference maker?

Another thing people forget to change.....the filters inside. They do eventually load up with shavings and whatever else. So regardless eventually all that debris is going to just circulate. If someone wants to cut them open, I will mail them. I change cvt with a cult like dedication and it has possibly payed off as the 9th gen Accord had some issues earlier not so much 16-17. Found another website listing the 60k or less between intervals for changing.

I have a fresh set of filters to go along with the fluid. The service is set to happen this coming weekend.

Normally I would do a tranny change at the same time as an engine oil change. Tranny fluid change, without a pan-drop, is only about 1/3 of the fluid volume.

I never saw a side-by-side comparison of any CVT fluid with a representative step-geared transmission fluid.
Pumps, valves and servos in either style unit likely match fluid performance needs but isn't the segmented steel band running against smooth tapered cones THE difference maker?
That’s what I think - CVTs, especially the Toyota one with a starting clutch also use multi-disc clutches as well as TCCs. Also, some friction-on-metal action happens in regular automatics.

The biggest difference is inherent metal-on-metal friction with the belt or chain(Subaru Lineartronic) against the variator sheaves. Afton claims their add pack has similar metal-on-metal friction values as many common CVTFs.

Personally, I don’t have a sword in the fight - the only CVT I’ll touch will get OE Subaru fluid, unless it’s proven these combo CVTATFs work well in practice.

1. CVT's don't really have a great rap for reliability already, which I would say makes owners risk-averse in fluid choices.

2. Not thoroughly vetting the product for themselves seems--to me--like shooting from the hip, and I couldn't reconcile why Castrol or Valvoline would permit themselves that amount of risk. Poor reputations carry far reaching, cascading costs that can cripple a brand.

Last edited:
Sorry but I would not volunteer to be a beta tester for a new additive package that anyone claims works
Haha ! "Beta" testing was done a long time ago along with extensive lab/internal testing before it ever went into a vehicle on public roads. There could be members here who tested it and still use the product but they can't talk about it.

I don't really get these all-in-one fluids. I don't try and use a hammer to cut bread even though you could theoretically do it. Use the right tool for the job.

Add in the fact Valvoline is owned by Aramco now, and I am out.

Back