Valvoline MaxLife ATF now includes CVT applications (as of 2021, May), Date Codes

I don't really get these all-in-one fluids. I don't try and use a hammer to cut bread even though you could theoretically do it. Use the right tool for the job.

Add in the fact Valvoline is owned by Aramco now, and I am out.
It’s more like one brand of Phillips screwdriver can fit more than one brand of Phillips head screw. Using coolant instead is like the hammer to cut bread, you’re not that far away.

How much are they?
No one knows.... They can probably negotiate a flat rate based on historical sales or the license holder might just charge a fee per "unit" (or volume). A lot of people say this is why Amsoil products aren't "licensed" for any application (maybe some products are ?? 🤷‍♂️). Not having those license fees helps keep their prices low (/s) too.

No one knows.... They can probably negotiate a flat rate based on historical sales or the license holder might just charge a fee per "unit" (or volume). A lot of people say this is why Amsoil products aren't "licensed" for any application (maybe some products are ?? 🤷‍♂️). Not having those license fees helps keep their prices low (/s) too.
Yeah … lots to do with volumes too … I buy Valvoline ATF really cheap even with approvals … They move tons of ATF …

They probably are willing to give "bulk" discounts for high-volume users and are happy with getting big checks vs nickle-and-dime payments from smaller producers that work on a per-unit payment schedule.

Haha ! "Beta" testing was done a long time ago along with extensive lab/internal testing before it ever went into a vehicle on public roads. There could be members here who tested it and still use the product but they can't talk about it.

Yeah..... Sure Hall. You'd trust everything wouldn't you ...

By the way.. Someone who knows light years more than you or I do about this whole subject... Read that person's post in this thread. This person I respect their knowledge way, way, way, way, way more than yours or mine on this subject.

I don't trust it yet....

Think about pharmacuetical drugs.....
Tested a lot too right genius ????

How many get pulled after there are serious negative health results with people taking them for years after FDA approval ???

I know of one first hand.... A MS drug.... Got pulled.... One that I had thought about taking. And it was tested too..... A whole lot... Whoopsy.... Guess that magical testing missed something didn't it...

No difference here....

Use your common sense... You have it. I know you do.

You have a very good number of really good posts on here that demonstrate that.

Last edited:
Here is something even more confusing.

In many autoparts stores they are selling the Valvoline MaxLife ATF with the same type and color of bottling and almost the same labeling except:

"Suitable for use in over 90% of vehicles"

"Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle"

"Recommended for Dexron VI, Mercon LV, Dex/Merc, and many other Applications." This is Valvoline's part number is 773775 for 3.78L or 1 gallon.

The OP's part numbers for the Multi-multi-vehicle version is 822421 for the 1L bottle and 786953 for the 5L container.

Here is something even more confusing.

In many autoparts stores they are selling the Valvoline MaxLife ATF with the same type and color of bottling and almost the same labeling except:

"Suitable for use in over 90% of vehicles"

"Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle"

"Recommended for Dexron VI, Mercon LV, Dex/Merc, and many other Applications." This is Valvoline's part number is 773775 for 3.78L or 1 gallon.

The OP's part numbers for the Multi-multi-vehicle version is 822421 for the 1L bottle and 786953 for the 5L container.
364BC80A-4B76-4293-8F3E-D25C5A8AD836.jpeg
CEDE854F-A1B1-45BB-844B-16ADFA9F713A.jpeg

Spotted at the local O’Reilly. I did a spill and fill on a Lexus with Amazon-sourced ML ATF with the old labeling. Used the new label since I was a few ounces short.

I just got through a rather frustrating chat with on this page:
Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (ATF) Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

The question was regarding MaxLive ATF as it now supports CVT applications after a certain packaging date:

" * CVT recommendations for packaged goods (quarts, gallons, totes, ABB, Drums) are applicable if dated May 2021 or later. Bulk product may have been mixed with the previous formulation. Bulk fluid shipped after May 2021 has the new formulation, but the concentration of new formulation in a mixture with the previous formulation must be 95% or greater to meet the new CVT specifications. Do not use in CVT applications until 95% or greater formulation ratio is achieved."

The date codes I provided from the packaging were confirmed to be:
I2322C5 = September 23 2022
H1622C1 = August 16 2022

I hope this helps someone.
D01B503C-44C7-4ADA-B43D-25EC2C53B5A1.jpeg

I just used 11.5 quarts for a fluid exchange on a 311,000 mile, 2000 Avalon that calls for Dexron. There is no mention of CVT compatibility on the label, but judging by this date code, I was using the new formulation.

No issues to report, but the old fluid may have been almost original. This new formula definitely lacks the pungent odor.

Last edited:
Data sheet says only 5.9 cSt at 100°C and 28 cSt at 40°C. Lower than what normal, non-LV, ATF fluids had.
I am tempted to use it in Hyundai and Kia that require ATF SP-III where I previously used with great results Castrol Import Multi-vehicle with 7.4 cSt and 35 cSt respectively...
Another brand, Totachi, had for their SP-III, 7.24 cSt and 34.8 cSt.
Valvoline, on their Import Multi-vehicle have 6.9 cST and 36.3 cSt.
Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT has 7.1 cSt and 34.2 cSt.

Now, maybe I should keep looking for the Castrol Universal ATF?

Last edited:
Looks like P66 is going this way too:

Looks like P66 is going this way too:
Without going back through the thread, I thought someone said that the "additive" maker blended up this concoction that works for ATs and CVTs. It sounded like a lot of fluid producers, even the big guys, used these additives and would end up offering super-universal fluids for ATs and CVTs too.

Without going back through the thread, I thought someone said that the "additive" maker blended up this concoction that works for ATs and CVTs. It sounded like a lot of fluid producers, even the big guys, used these additives and would end up offering super-universal fluids for ATs and CVTs too.
Most of these retail labels are just blenders - the additive companies do most of the heavy lifting.

They've been out of this for a few weeks at my local WM. Back when this thread was started I scoured Walmarts and bought 11 jugs (all I could find). Now, my local Walmart has restocked, but it's still the OG variant and hopefully will stay that way. I use it in everything, over many years, with "great results."

Personally I wouldn't trust it anything as fragile as these cvt units, if I had one it would be OE fluid only. What is next with this stuff, can be used in place of Listerene mouth wash.
When they said it for use in dex III units with the half baked and bogus explanation that it will be when the dex III thins out from use because they red flagged for that claim. I never used it again, lack of trust in this company.
I only changed to Redline Non Slip as it and Honda OE are made by Kendall/P66. Meets the specs and it's better shear stability. Honda fluid costs more too for less performance.

-40C viscosity spec has changed since 2022:

Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP
9,000 [2022-10-25]
11,000 [2023-06-05]

Back