Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 - 6240 miles - Ford 3.0 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here an oil analyze for my Ford Escape '03 with a Duratec 3.0L V6 engine. The make up oil was 1,5 qt. I did 6240 miles on this oil but the TBN is still 2.3 so still good enough to make some more miles. I run 5W30 in this engine because I think it is better and this analyze support that.
Please give me your input on this analyze.

2223329434_588762f41a_o.jpg

Fantastic report. All wear at or well below average, good flashpoint, low insolubles. I'm running maxlife synthetic in both my cars right now because there are rarely bad reports of maxlife oils.

I have a 2005 3.0 Duratec in my Sable. I use PP 5W20 for 8,000 mile intervals. Performs flawlessly. There have been numerous UOAs posted where the 5W20 performs just as well as the 5W30 in all situations.
The engine has 76,000 miles on it and I have never had to add any oil between changes.
The idea that 5W30 is better than 5W20 is a myth. Blackstone says you can run 10W40!? Thats just silly.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

The idea that 5W30 is better than 5W20 is a myth.

I don't know whether it is a myth or not unless I see some studies about how they protect under extreme circumstances. I'm sure HTHS will be higher in the heavier oil. Whether that matters or not will require some boundary protection tests. But I'm not willing to make a firm statement one way or another based on UOAs posted here. 99% are based on normal operating conditions where any grade will perform well.

Last edited:
If you do a search you'll see dozens of stellar UOAs where 5W20 was used. From extreme cold to extreme heat. With some of the lowest wear numbers on the site.

This was the synthetic blend 5W30.
I didn't want to start the endless discussion what is better, 5W20 or 5W30, I was really happy to see that this oil performs pretty well in this engine. Even for 6000 miles.
I also did this analyze because I suspected a vacuum leak which is not the case. And it didn't shear much.

What you guys think of Balckstone's comment that you even could go with a 40 weight in this engine?

Originally Posted By: djmc
What you guys think of Balckstone's comment that you even could go with a 40 weight in this engine?

It may not be necessary, but I don't see how it could hurt anything, especially with higher mileage...

What? Certain Hondas spit out loads of copper.............The GM Ecotec is as low wearing (ppm wise) as they come.

I think Maxlife is the bees knees of oils though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back