SuperTech Full Synthetic 5W30, 2023 Lincoln Navigator L, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, 2847 miles on oil, 8674 on vehicle

SuperTech Full Synthetic 5W30, 2023 Lincoln Navigator L, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, 2847 miles on oil, 8674 on vehicle

(Similiar engine is also in Ford Raptor, Ford F150 and Ford Expedition)

Screenshot_20230426_191905_Drive.jpg

Everything looks like it's well in order even for break in period. silicon should come down soon. I bet the nav is a nice ride! I convinced my neighbor to get an older one like an 07' I think. A Tank w/seats

Just to compare this is the Advanced version. There is Full Synthetic, High Mileage and Advanced. FYI...the other 2 columns are PUP 5W30 and Quaker State Euro 5W40.
Screenshot_20230426_192010_Drive.jpg

Low Iron count for less than 10k but the run was short. You have a baseline now to see future trends. Are you planning increased OCI's as it gets broken in or looking for a lower cost ST type oil and more frequent OCI's? To clarify, not a bash on ST as I've used it with confidence but not much since the price increase. It is currently in my kids 12 RAV4.

I am trying to standardize on one of the oils found on the shelf at my local Walmart. I had a 2021 Navigator and continuing the testing on the 2023.

I have Quaker State Ultimate Protection and Valvoline Advanced left to try. Also would like to try the high mileage versions.

What I suspect is no matter which bottle I pull off the shelf I dont think it will matter. BTW all the bottles in the picture are priced about the same.

I just noticed they also have Castrol Edge on the shelf...

Basically when you look at the shelf there is SuperTech, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Valvoline and Mobil 1. The great part about SuperTech and Valvoline is they have 12 quart boxes which is better for me.

Navi,

I think you might benefit by putting your profession in your sig, so that people understand the context of your new posts better. This vehicle is your livelihood. It changes things when people understand that. Not everyone knows what your POV is each time you post. You might get better/more valuable feedback.

Just a thought...

Navi,

I think you might benefit by putting your profession in your sig, so that people understand the context of your new posts better. This vehicle is your livelihood. It changes things when people understand that. Not everyone knows what your POV is each time you post. You might get better/more valuable feedback.

Just a thought...
Yes. He’s in stop and go traffic in NYC.

I basically drive the hell out of all my vehicles. 70000+ miles a year, stop and go, 7 days a week in NYC traffic. It could be described as Severe or Extreme service.

When I had my 2018 Navigator I was doing 5000 mile oil changes and getting 22 on the iron wear rating. From experience and what I was told/read I should go with 3000 mile intervals as its turbo direct inject.

Either they modified the engine or its the new API SP standard or both. The iron wear rating is half what it was then in 2018.

It is probably better to operate it for long periods than your typical short-tripping so you have that going for you. I think 5000 miles on good quality oil (any long-life spec'd) would still be very conservative and since your engine gets up to temp and stays there, that helps with fuel dilution. I think if I were in your shoes the analysis would be purely to watch for fuel dilution and I'm not sure BS is the best measurement tool for that.

Navi -

Please understand that while you can do UOAs, it's not going to allow you to "compare" lubes to each other when you're only doing single UOAs on each lube. There is no way at all you could accurately understand the natural variation in the processes with such low sample counts. What the UOAs can tell you is whether or not the engine and lube are behaving "normally" in use. You can also look for contamination. You can track trends. But you cannot say one lube did better or worse than another in the manner you're using the UOA tool; that's inherently bad use of the information.

I do, in general, agree with your statement about the lube selection not mattering much. Most any decent, properly spec'd lube is going to give similar results in terms of wear control.

As this vehicle is a means of making your earnings, the topic of ROI comes up. What you can do, if you so choose, is use a premium lube to extend your OCIs. Lubes which have great base stocks and add-packs can be of benefit in terms of reducing downtime and such. This is a function of ROI; can the OCI extension pay for the higher cost lube? This gets into many aspects of tracking wear (UOAs, PCs, visual inspections, etc). Extended OCIs are not to be done blindly; it takes a commitment to proper discipline.

I am trying to standardize on one of the oils found on the shelf at my local Walmart. I had a 2021 Navigator and continuing the testing on the 2023.

I have Quaker State Ultimate Protection and Valvoline Advanced left to try. Also would like to try the high mileage versions.

What I suspect is no matter which bottle I pull off the shelf I dont think it will matter. BTW all the bottles in the picture are priced about the same.

I just noticed they also have Castrol Edge on the shelf...

Basically when you look at the shelf there is SuperTech, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Valvoline and Mobil 1. The great part about SuperTech and Valvoline is they have 12 quart boxes which is better for me.
And Royalpurple, sometimes T6 and Delo too.

Around here, they also have 10w30 Motorcraft SuperDuty stuff too. Its not a full synthetic but is 3.5 HTHS for the powerstrokers. If I didn't have a shelf of synth oil, I'd been using it. Soon... I will abandon full synthetic oil for my severe intervals using Rotella T4/T5 & Motorcraft 10w30 blends across the board.... Mazda/Kia/Toyota/Briggs/Kohler and the VW too. I don't get or see the benefit with different brands/types with my interval and HTHS, and my expected engine life, which tends to be seriously and drastically longer than the neighbors' and coworkers' vehicles.

My vote is for bulk 0w40... and Castrol/Mobil are usually available at waltart. Those jugs, cardboxes, or buckets are hard to beat on price even when using 5w30 SP/GF6 oils. But, you might also look to using a barrel/tote and refilling service from a local oil company too.

SP/GF6 had that timing change wear test.... that too many oils SN/GF5 oils failed pathetically. So, the newer SP/GF6 oils will reduce all wear, and not just at the valvetrain. Also noticed too many SN/GF6 3-3.1 HTHS 5w30's jump up to 3.2-3.3 HTHS with that newer spgf6 spec too. So, its not all in the moly/boron/titainum/unobtainum additives that seemed to increase in ppm, along with whatever we didn't see(base oils type and ratios, visc and friction modifiers, performance improving additives, and big oil company snake oil secret sauce).

Back