2013 Volvo S80 3.2l, 2000 mi, dealer bulk oil

What's funny is after I sent my first sample in (PPHM VOA), I got this great welcome email that thanked me and let me know I could email them with any questions. I replied to that email with a couple of questions and didn't get a response for 9 days. And when I did get a response, they did not answer my questions. lol It's as if they glanced quickly at my email, waited 9 days, then replied without re-reading my email.

Then this issue. I thought Baseline Reference meant the first UOA that's been done on a specific vehicle. In my comments when submitting the sample, I told them (and they printed it on the report) that the oil had unknown miles, between 500-2000. Visually, the oil sample was obviously used (dark, dirty color). So they ignored the fact that the oil looked used and my comments about it having 500-2000 miles and still skipped the GC and Soot tests because I mis-categorized it as "Baseline Reference". 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for your comments!
Yeah, This would be frustrating to me as well & there were several errors on their behalf. But with any business it's the unfortunate reality sometimes. Just try to stick with it & try your best.

Meanwhile, the sample I mailed to Blackstone at the same time (via USPS) has been "Moving Through Network, In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" for 7 days now. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, the sample I mailed to Blackstone at the same time (via USPS) has been "Moving Through Network, In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" for 7 days now. :rolleyes:
PO has went downhill for several yrs now. According to my pirate ship email First class & Parcel Select have been combined & it's going to be called Ground Advantage (July 9th).

Updated UOA with Fuel% and Soot. Looks like viscosity changed slightly too, from 9.5 to 9.6. I'll have to say, OA is not as easy to communicate with as Blackstone. But in the end, they did rerun the UOA with the data I asked them to. So kudos to them for that.
View attachment 163865
So, reasonably low fuel. Oil is on the lower end of the xW-30 range. I agree, the TBN seems pretty low for the mileage, additive package is pretty light on detergents, which explains the low TBN.

So, reasonably low fuel. Oil is on the lower end of the xW-30 range. I agree, the TBN seems pretty low for the mileage, additive package is pretty light on detergents, which explains the low TBN.
You know, I bet the Volvo dealer that filled this oil used dealer bulk Castrol EDGE 5W30, which is A5/B5 rated. I don't know how this could be considered an A5/B5 oil though. I can't imagine starting TBN of 8 or being considered "extended drain" with the TBN where it's at after only 2k miles. I'd expect a higher SAPS for A5/B5 too, though technically SA only has to be less than or equal to 1.6. No minimum.

You know, I bet the Volvo dealer that filled this oil used dealer bulk Castrol EDGE 5W30, which is A5/B5 rated. I don't know how this could be considered an A5/B5 oil though. I can't imagine starting TBN of 8 or being considered "extended drain" with the TBN where it's at after only 2k miles. I'd expect a higher SAPS for A5/B5 too, though technically SA only has to be less than or equal to 1.6. No minimum.
This is definitely low SAPS with that additive package.

The calcium/magnesium levels kinda look like the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 one:

The moly level also lines up.

M1 triple action also appears to have similar levels of calcium and magnesium, but the moly is about twice as high:

This is definitely low SAPS with that additive package.

The calcium/magnesium levels kinda look like the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 one:

The moly level also lines up.

M1 triple action also appears to have similar levels of calcium and magnesium, but the moly is about twice as high:
My first thought was PP, but I think the Mg is too low on the PP. EDGE seems closest other than Ti being a little low and Bn being a tad high. But that could be explained by a dealer bulk formulation of EDGE. The other reason is Volvo officially recommends Castrol, so I'd assume their dealer bulk would be Castrol.

Well, the sample finally delivered to BS on June 30th. It then took another week for Blackstone to unpack it. Current status on BS's site is "unpacked". Probably won't get results til next Friday, based on previous UOAs they've done. That's a super slow turnaround. I imagine they have an incredible backlog of samples and have not figured out yet how to process them in greater volume. Sounds like they need to be running 2 or 3 shifts. lol

Back