Valvoline Hybrid ATF on Mitsubish L200/Trition with v5awf transmission?

I did a atf service on my 2016 Mitsubishi l200(same as Triton) with v5awf transmission, it needs atf fluid that meets the Mitsubishi ATF-PA specification.
After some research and previous good experience with valvoline(engine oil) i decided to use the Valvoline Hybrid ATF, pr the valvoline lubricants advisor for my car.

Oil spec:

First I was very happy because the shifts were more soft, but now when the weather is colder I have experienced the engine rpm to jump slightly between gears...
It also need high rpm to change from 3 to 4 when cold in auto mode.
The oil level is perfect.

I just question if the oil really is suitable?
Like how can it meet so many specifications?.

Most other brands have a different oil for these newer specs(lower viscosity?) oil like the ATF-PA, and another oil for older specification like the SP-III and so on.
Im not sure if its the oil as the old oil was very dark, but i would love some feedback if i should try another brand or type of oil.

Skjermbilde 2022-09-30 232352.png

Last edited:

Start here

Isn't this a Toyota Aisin a750e/f family of transmissions?

Full synthetic LV multispec ATF's should work fine. The only issue is how to get the correct ATF level. I would verify your service manual for your vehicle and make sure the ATF level is correct. Too many think its perfect when its off by a mile.

It would be a good time to change the ATF filter and clean the pan magnets. I just don't see that fluid as the problem.

After you change the filter, and refill with whatever ATF you find compatible(since your location wasn't given), put the transmission into relearn(something that should be done with any adaptive transmission after a fluid service).

I will assume that there are no check engines/trans lights and that you scanned for any/all pending, stored, or active codes.

Some transmissions will shift firmly when cold, my Toyota U660F does and so did my U140E. Furthermore, shifts are delayed by increasing engine speed to reduce warm up time, from a cold start. Your fluid looks like our MaxLife which is "suitable for use" in V5AWF transmissions. Try doing a shift adapt reset; good luck!

Yes, I believe it's manufactured by Aisin and you can find it in other vehicles like Toyota, i did not change the filter because it's basically a big screen mesh and is not common to change. But maybe I will check it to be sure it's not clogged or anything, but then there is a major problem.

Was thinking to change to top tec 1800:
Because it looks like it's more ment specific for newer transmissions and ATF-PA, but maybe there is no point.

I'm actually a valvoline "fan" but I just find it odd that it(hybrid atf) meets requirements for both very old atf standards and new at the same time when most, to all other brands of oils dont.

Yes, I believe it's manufactured by Aisin and you can find it in other vehicles like Toyota, i did not change the filter because it's basically a big screen mesh and is not common to change. But maybe I will check it to be sure it's not clogged or anything, but then there is a major problem.

Was thinking to change to top tec 1800:
Because it looks like it's more ment specific for newer transmissions and ATF-PA, but maybe there is no point.

I'm actually a valvoline "fan" but I just find it odd that it(hybrid atf) meets requirements for both very old atf standards and new at the same time when most, to all other brands of oils dont.
It's because low viscosity fluids are more shear stable.

It's because low viscosity fluids are more shear stable.
So you think it's a good idea to change to the Top Tec ATF 1800?

It is recommended for transmission that needs Mitsubishi Dia Queen ATF-PA and Toyota WS, and not Dia Queen SP-III and older.
I noticed a slight slippage, which is sad. So i'm concerned the Hybrid ATF, in the goal to be so extremely universal, may not be best suited for the transmission.

But if my logic is not valid, I will not waste my money. Only want the transmission to last as long as possible.

Back