Valvoline eye candy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by PimTac
Their jugs are the winners. Easy to verify the seal, easy to handle, easy to pour. ...
Do Valvoline's fancy spouts cause the last ounce in the bottle to be difficult to get out, the way spouts on typical bottles of laundry detergent do nowadays?

I have not had that experience.

Another thing to point out regarding the jug design, Valvoline nailed the handle balance on these new jugs. If you have a vehicle where you have to lean in to reach the oil fill then this jug helps with that.

On my CX5 the oil fill is towards the back of the bay. This car has a long hood and I'm not all that tall. Most jugs require a second hand to balance the jug as you start to pour. You can do it with one hand with the Valvoline jugs.

Originally Posted by Silver
I'll wait for Super Advanced.

Valvoline isn't a SOPUS product...

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Their jugs are the winners. Easy to verify the seal, easy to handle, easy to pour.

Yes! The best oil jugs I have ever used. Who ever designed them deserves an award.

I will third that ^^^^^^

I really like these bottles! I like the foil seal, too bad Kendall stopped with their foil seal.....

Foiled sealed jug tells me I'm getting what is ON THE JUG.

Meeh! just a plastic bottle going in the trash
smirk2.gif

Their jugs are the winners. Easy to verify the seal, easy to handle, easy to pour.

Agreed.ðŸ‘

I like the foil seals too, but they are not unique to Valvoline.

I don't like the silly pour spout at all, I much prefer the regular circular openings. But I imagine that depends on the oil filler location, and on how old the dog pouring it in is. LOL

I suspect that "Modern Engine" was a good formula for GDI issues without having to buy OEM oils, but now mainstream 'advanced' oils have been reformulated to cover that base. If I had a GDI engine I would have used Valvoline ME with confidence.

And yes, the Valvoline marketing department does keep busy.

Originally Posted by BearZDefect
If I had a GDI engine I would have used Valvoline ME with confidence.

I'm using it in a non-GDI engine with confidence. Hemi seems to love it.

I don't like the silly pour spout at all, I much prefer the regular circular openings. But I imagine that depends on the oil filler location, and on how old the dog pouring it in is. LOL

I suspect that "Modern Engine" was a good formula for GDI issues without having to buy OEM oils, but now mainstream 'advanced' oils have been reformulated to cover that base. If I had a GDI engine I would have used Valvoline ME with confidence.

But you're a BITOGer... the avg consumer can't even probably tell you what GDI stands for, despite having one. Seems to me VME attempts to solve a problem the avg consumer doesn't perceive. Plus at this price point they don't do a good job of telling me why I should choose VME over M1 EP/AP or even it's stablemate VAS. I'm not suggest VME is a "bad" lube, quite the contrary, it's probably a great lube... just that poor marketing/pricing has done it in.

Agree with that. I would have never bought it over the VAS if it weren't for the Azone clearance. But I did.

To clarify, other brands use a foil seal as well but Valvoline has a clear cap that is also sealed. You can see the seal is intact when you buy it. Most have a solid cap and you cannot verify the seal underneath.

Another "miss" for VME *IS* the fact that it's labeled "Modern Engine".

For some non-oil people (folks who don't nerd out on motor oil), they'll look at this and think they shouldn't use it just because their car/truck wasn't made in the last couple of years.

I know because I bought 27 quarts of VME 0W-20 for the fiancée's 18 Civic 1.5T for 2 bucks a quart at the AZ clearance and posted on Facebook just to brag to my buddies a little bit about my score, and one guy said he wouldn't use it because his car wasn't "Modern".

So, yeah, screw up by Valvoline's marketing team in my opinion.

And, as others have mentioned, it's sold at a premium price point alongside M1-EP and AP, and the Edge EP, etc, but with no claim for extended OCI suitability. Nothing on the label or in the name, even, that differentiates it from VAS or suggests that there's anything about it that justifies the high price of almost 10 bucks a quart at full retail.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
... posted on Facebook just to brag to my buddies a little bit about my score, and one guy said he wouldn't use it because his car wasn't "Modern".

So, yeah, screw up by Valvoline's marketing team in my opinion.

...‚...*facepalm*...and agreed.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Malo83
Meeh! just a plastic bottle going in the trash
smirk2.gif

All mine get refilled with the used oil and sent back to recycle. WalMart accepts up to 5 jugs at a time, IIRC.

Modern Engine was designed for GDI engines to help prevent intake valve buildup.

By all accounts it hasn't sold well. It's hard to find and it's overpriced. VAS carries SN+ and d1G2 specs so the benefits of ME were not clear at all.

My guess is that ME is slowly being phased out. It's not found in retail stores and where you do find it then it's on clearance.

What I found weird was, the specs shows the Noack on the Valvoline ME was as high as 12% . How can that prevent intake valve buildup?

Originally Posted by painfx
Modern Engine was designed for GDI engines to help prevent intake valve buildup.

By all accounts it hasn't sold well. It's hard to find and it's overpriced. VAS carries SN+ and d1G2 specs so the benefits of ME were not clear at all.

My guess is that ME is slowly being phased out. It's not found in retail stores and where you do find it then it's on clearance.

What I found weird was, the specs shows the Noack on the Valvoline ME was as high as 12% . How can that prevent intake valve buildup?

That is a little concerning, considering I'm using it in a TGDI engine (Honda 1.5T). When I had my 2016 WRX, I specifically sought out PPPP 10W-30, which had been tested at 4.7% Noack, at one time. Not sure if it's still that low or not. But, then, it had lower volatility than even PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back