Valvoline Extended Protection Moly Type

FMC

Valvoline Extended Protection 0w-20 has quite a robust additive package, their Moly content is very high, does anyone know what type of Moly they use ?

Thanks

No. Its come up in prior threads. And I've asked Valvoline directly and they won't give an answer.

yep, specifically:

Valvoline is most likely using MoDTC dimer. MoDTC trimer is more sulfur rich relative to moly concentration in raw form, which is part of why it's more effective at creating MoS2 at lower concentrations, but this also means it pushes the API SP limit for sulfur. (0.5% max) If they had MoDTC trimer at that concentration, given the other sulfur-containing additives in the formula, I wouldn't see them being able to stay under the API SP limit for sulfur.

Read my reply in that thread about sulfur. That logic was not correct.

There's nothing specifically that rules out the possibility that it is the trimer or even a combination of the two. As there's studies that show different effective regimes of 1 vs the other and there is an incremental benefit.
It's unlikely that they are using trimer though both due to the concentration and the fact that trimer has, historically, only been used by XOM and SOPUS because it was produced (and patented) by Infineum and was likely more expensive for other brands to purchase. Though I believe the patent has now expired, but not sure if anyone else has jumped onboard manufacturing it.

Funny thing, I’d called Valvoline a while back and the dude in the cubicle was like “Bro, Valvoline uses no moly in their oils”. I wanted to say “Come on home slice, analyses say otherwise”, but I knew those tech line support people are basically only call center employees in cubicles.

Funny thing, I’d called Valvoline a while back and the dude in the cubicle was like “Bro, Valvoline uses no moly in their oils”. I wanted to say “Come on home slice, analyses say otherwise”, but I knew those tech line support people are basically only call center employees in cubicles.

These days most of them are at home in their underwear eating cheesy poofs.

Back