Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic 0w20 - DEXOS 1 GEN 3????

I see on https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1_3/index.html, Valvoline's EP 0w20 IS DEXOS 1 GEN 3 approved, however, on Valvoline's website and on the bottles it only states it's Gen 2 approved.

If it is indeed GEN 3, why wouldn't they mark it as such on the bottles? If it's a case of old stock, then I wonder of the GEN 2 oil is the same as the GEN 3 oil.....or if the GEN 3 would have a different formulation....? Maybe the Gen 2 stuff already meets the Gen 3 specs?

I want to use the latest DEXOS and API certifications as they seem to be changing due to LSPI and GDI engines. We have two newer GDI engines and want to do what I can to be pro-active to hopefully avoid any issues long term.

Anybody have any insight?

I see on https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1_3/index.html, Valvoline's EP 0w20 IS DEXOS 1 GEN 3 approved, however, on Valvoline's website and on the bottles it only states it's Gen 2 approved.

If it is indeed GEN 3, why wouldn't they mark it as such on the bottles? If it's a case of old stock, then I wonder of the GEN 2 oil is the same as the GEN 3 oil.....or if the GEN 3 would have a different formulation....? Maybe the Gen 2 stuff already meets the Gen 3 specs?

I want to use the latest DEXOS and API certifications as they seem to be changing due to LSPI and GDI engines. We have two newer GDI engines and want to do what I can to be pro-active to hopefully avoid any issues long term.

Anybody have any insight?

OP, it's a change over period, so you don't know if it's new formulation in a old bottle, or the old formulation. You don't know if the formulation has changed.

If you want Dexos1-Gen3 then safest bet is to get a jug that is clearly marked, it may mean getting a different brand like M1. Six months from now, this will be a non-issue, when the new stuff is everywhere and the old stuff is gone.

Of course we all want the latest and greatest thing, but according to one of the comparison charts, D1G3 is actually a step backward performance wise in a couple of ways.
Doubtful that one OCI with a product that meets your engine’s current spec will cause any issues.

Back