Valvoline Euro 5W-30

Has anyone used Valvoline Euro 5W-30? It has bunch of European bells & whistles like 229, LL-01, etc.

3 jugs of Euro are $79 on Amazon vs. $31 for 1 jug of Extended Protection. Was expecting Euro to be pricier! Valvoline website has a picture of Euro (no XL-III) but Amazon shows Euro XL-III. Kind of confusing.

I recently bought couple of jugs of Valvoline EP 5W-30. Curious if Euro 5W-30 has a good chunk of moly like EP 5W-30.

Edit:
Found a VOA by @KCJeep for Valvoline Euro 5W-40 and it has no moly.

Last edited:
We have no idea of knowing without a voa but even if it doesn't I'm sure the overall formulation is still stout as it has to meet the specs one way or another. Cheap chevron delo sde has no moly at all and sub 800 ppm zddp and phosphorous and yet still delivers the same good uoa's compared to better looking oil's.

The Euro 5W-30 seems to spec as an older SL formulation (VW 502/505, LL-01, MB 229.5), while the XL-III seems to be a newer mid-SAPS type SP formulation (VW 504/507, LL-04, MB 229.51/2, Porsche C30). XL-III is also (just) RECOMMENDED for 502, LL-01, but seems like a better choice than the plain Jane Euro 5W-30.

Amazon still has a 3-pack of the XL-III for $78.72. Can't find the Euro 5W-30 there, but with the seemingly better XL-III for this cheap, why bother?

I now see the XLIII on the website!

Maybe I missed it last time or didn't pay attention because it is under product info: "SAE XLIII", whereas the the other (non XLIII version) is under "SAE 5W-30".

Agree that XLIII (API SP) is a very good price! Maybe for shorter OCI (mid saps). No? May consider it for our DI.
The other regular Euro is API SL. Reminds me of GC 0W-30 which is SL. Must be full SAPS. Can't recall but regarding SL, SonOfJoe said it's high on something (Ca?) that's why SL and probably harder to find.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that with VW 502/505 and BMW LL-01, API SL, it is a full SAPS formula. With ultra low sulphur gasoline now in existence everywhere in the US, could probably run a mid-SAPS (VW 504/507, BMW LL-04) out to full OCI, but UOA for certain. Lots of folks contend lower SAPS is beneficial for reduced deposits in DI engines.

Back