New car, first oil change. Your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
I said from the start that GM would be causing a lot of confusion with this Gen 2 business. Keep it a rolling spec like ACEA or the European OEM ones.

01.gif

Someone here, I think it was 4WD, but I forget these things all the time, suggested a version number like software. dexos 1.2 would have been a lot less confusing if they don't want a rolling spec. If I gave the wrong person credit, someone straighten me out!

Originally Posted by Randy_R
Any 5W-30 you got. Maybe change before the snow flies. No reason to change just because the car didn't sell right away. I'm sure the oil still looks new. I'd be more concerned about the battery. If nobody looked at the car and it didn't move for a while the battery goes dead and stays that way. On another thread we talked about battery life. I have a 2008 Saturn Vue that was only on the lot four months and the battery died within a year. The dealer replacement last nine years. Congratulations on your new ride. That's a really neat wagon. Or, considering where it came from, should we call it a shooting brake?

The remote start feature and auto shutoff wasn't working so I thought the battery might be the culprit. When I gave it an inspection, the remote jumping post was off so I figure they had to jump it. If it dies within a year or so I will raise an issue with the owner. I was going to start another thread asking about the repercussions with an AGM battery.

I put my CTEK 3300 charger on it the night I got it home. The voltage gradually built up but I thought the charger would start on fire! In the morning it was still charging but in the "constant voltage" stage so it wasn't pumping 3.3A all night. I've had it on a charger every night and its better.

The literal term of shooting brake would be a 2-door wagon. I would be fine with that but my dog likes getting in the back seat.

Originally Posted by Garak
I said from the start that GM would be causing a lot of confusion with this Gen 2 business. Keep it a rolling spec like ACEA or the European OEM ones.

Now there's DexosD...is that better than Dexos1 or Dexos2? Geez!

I understand the point of dexosD, but realistically here, anyone managing a fleet or even doing maintenance on a non-dexos2/C3 type diesel can easily find a CK-4, E7, E9 lubricant. After all, the majority of such lubricants on the shelf have a laundry list of builder approvals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back