Valvoline EP 0w-20, 5k miles; 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi

This is valvoline extended protection 0w-20 ran in my 2011 ram 1500 5.7 hemi.
5,000 mile’s on the oil, 1/4 of a quart added during the oci.
58E99D51-7E9E-4DFA-A331-53EF29F2B8D6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
How many total miles are on your 2011 RAM ?

This week, I am driving a friends 2015 RAM 1500 5.7 LITER (395 HP/410 lb.ft./w/3.92:1 Rear Diff.) to move my daughter into her new home.
This RAM is the
Double Cap/Short Box 4WD
This thing is a small beast and I really like it. It's getting about 16MPG w/std 26 gallon gas tank

Last edited:
Why a 0w-20 versus using a xW-30?

What type of driving? Short trips? Towing?

And if that TBN is accurate, I’d keep the OCI at 5k miles, not the 7k suggested.

There was 110k miles on the engine at the start of this oci, 115k when sample was taken.
Chose 0w-20 over 5w-20 cause I live in Montana where winters get pretty cold, we see a lot of below zero temps through out winter time.
Not really towing much at the moment, mostly just short trips, my wife drives it to work and back home daily which like half a mile away from the house if that.
Sometimes ran to the next town over for grocery shopping and errands.
Occasionally take it to Idaho to visit family.
Keeping it at 5k intervals wouldn’t bother me cause that’s when I rotate the tires.
It’s easy to remember rotate tires and change the oil every 5k miles.

Thanks for the info, pjc360.

That 1/2 mile daily “commute” each way is the likely cause of the TBN clocking in at 2.2.

No worries, though. You’re running what I consider to be a really good oil and your UOA shows that.

Okay. I just saw this link which answers the questions I asked.

And if that TBN is accurate, I’d keep the OCI at 5k miles, not the 7k suggested.
According to a recent VOA the TBN starts out at 6.1. So it lost 3.9 in 5k, another 2k would take it down another 1.5 leaving it at .7, if it were linear which we know TBN is not linear, still a little close for me.

The protection.
So what is "extended" about this oil?
You see the amount of moly in this oil?
That’s the main reason I chose to run it.
I wasn’t looking for an extended drain oil.
Mainly looking for an oil that will give ultimate protection in low temperatures and an oil that will keep the hemi running smooth and quiet since they have somewhat of a reputation for being a little noisy in the valvetrain.

You see the amount of moly in this oil?
That’s the main reason I chose to run it.
I wasn’t looking for an extended drain oil.
Mainly looking for an oil that will give ultimate protection in low temperatures and an oil that will keep the hemi running smooth and quiet since they have somewhat of a reputation for being a little noisy in the valvetrain.
There isn't anything wrong with this oil, in fact it is a very good choice. However, I'd be cautious to base my choices on moly as a deciding factor. JM2C

Back