valvoline dino or castrol 4t motorcycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is the better oil and has the better additives. Both can be found at AutoZone. Wanted to know your experiences with these oil. Both are dinos

From what I've read on here based on experience of others, the mineral Castrol 4T is a very weak sauce. It shears very quickly. It also scored very poorly in the Amsoil motorcycle oil test.

Between these two, I would have go with the Valvo.

I am going to try the Petro Canada Duron-E 10w40 this coming spring in my 2004 kawasaki vulcan 1500 , I have been using Rotella T 5w40 CI-4

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Which one is the better oil and has the better additives. Both can be found at AutoZone. Wanted to know your experiences with these oil. Both are dinos

Neither one... especially without knowing:

Bike?
How do you use it?
Miles or time between changes?

Between the two...the Valvoline is vastly superior than the Castrol dino.

But depending on the bike and use... there may be better oils. If you were looking at 10w40 flavors...the Rotella 15w40 might be a really good option.

NEITHER!!!

might as well pour some diet pepsi in.

if you are going to pick something from autozone, pick Shell Rotella T 15w40 or Chevron Delo 400 15w40 or Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 or Exxon Superflo 20w50 (during summer).

now, if you want to spend the money and have an awesome winter oil, get the Castrol Syntec 0w30 that says made in germany on the back.

steve

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Valvoline dino is the best dino available...It's definitely better than the Castrol and I like it better than Rotella as well...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
although I think he is kidding about the gc

I don't think he is. GC has HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP. I can see it working OK in some bike applications. It's also API SL, so the add pack is decent.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
grampi, what bike/engine have you used it in?

Suzuki M109R

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Rotella.

This is what I use in the primary of my Harley and all my shared sump bikes.

Try some Delvac conventional 15W-40 in that primary. Smooooth.

no i really tested the castrol syntec 0w30 (GC) and it finished with a susvis of 61.3

that is just about dead center in the 30wt range!

consider that texaco havoline 10w40 scored a 58.3 for the same hrs.

steve

Castrol 4T 20w50 or 10w50 or Mobil1 4T 10w40. This is if you have a shared sump. If you have an air cooled Vtwin then Mobil1Vtwin or Castrol 4T 20w50

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
i completely disagree with those choices, btw.

I know you hate Castrol but I get really good clutch action with the 4T 10w50 and it seems to last through the full OCI. Plus, you can get in on sale on Amazon under $8/qt no tax/free ship. I have a 3 year supply sitting in my office now.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back