Valvoline CVT document question

Sounds like it. The asterisk is just signifying that the OE fluids are a lower viscosity whereas the Valv is a higher viscosity just as a general informational statement.

Interesting question, I've been using this product in my Suzuki for several years. No issues but I do see that my vehicle takes 'Green 1' and Green 2 fluid. Green 2 is low viscosity.

Has the 'thick versus thin' controversy bled over into transmission fluids also?

I would be more concerned about this statement actually "Do not mix with other transmission oils."

If its supposedly compatible why can't I mix it?

I had a conversation with Trav about Valvoline Maxlife ATF claiming to be compatible with nearly every automatic transmission known to man. I would be more comfortable using a specific fluid for the transmission in use.

Use caution with asterisks and the fine print..

Here is something you can consider.... use the correct specified/licensed fluid and then you don't have to worry about what a document says on a multi-vehicle fluid nor do you have to worry about premature failure due to a multi-vehicle fluid not actually meeting the requirement.

I had a conversation with Trav about Valvoline Maxlife ATF claiming to be compatible with nearly every automatic transmission known to man. I would be more comfortable using a specific fluid for the transmission in use.

Use caution with asterisks and the fine print..
Which is simply not possible because some of the fluids Maxlife claims to be compatible with are not compatible with each other therefore it is impossible for it to actually meet the correct specifications perfectly.

Maxlife has it's place, it is good fluid and on many transmissions it works fine but when a specified/licensed fluid is available it is really not a smart idea.

Reactions: hrv
Here is something you can consider.... use the correct specified/licensed fluid and then you don't have to worry about what a document says on a multi-vehicle fluid nor do you have to worry about premature failure due to a multi-vehicle fluid not actually meeting the requirement.
Sounds pretty simple to me...My Honda HRV get OEM Honda CVT fluid...its not like you are changing it every 5000 miles...

Which is simply not possible because some of the fluids Maxlife claims to be compatible with are not compatible with each other therefore it is impossible for it to actually meet the correct specifications perfectly.
Which ones are these? I use Maxlife in nearly everything I take care of, which ones of the compatibility list are incompatible?

Using a substitute brand is just risking too much, especially while under warranty. I will stay with the OEM fluids for transmissions and gear boxes. When I hear of a catestropic failure of a transmission the first things I want to know is what fluid and how many miles.

Reactions: hrv
Which ones are these? I use Maxlife in nearly everything I take care of, which ones of the compatibility list are incompatible?
An example is Mercon LV and Mercon V they are not compatible but Maxlife claims it is compatible with both. Same thing with Toyota T-IV and Toyota WS they are not compatible and nor did Toyota ever back-spec it.

Also I have seen multiple times Toyota WS transmissions have issues running multi-vehicle ATF and switching back to actual WS fixed it. Now you can go on and do what you want, believe what you want and don't trust the manufacturer of your own vehicles that is your choice.

But me I will stick to using the correct fluid and I will not put the incorrect fluid in any vehicle that I work on.

An example is Mercon LV and Mercon V they are not compatible but Maxlife claims it is compatible with both. Same thing with Toyota T-IV and Toyota WS they are not compatible and nor did Toyota ever back-spec it.

Also I have seen multiple times Toyota WS transmissions have issues running multi-vehicle ATF and switching back to actual WS fixed it. Now you can go on and do what you want, believe what you want and don't trust the manufacturer of your own vehicles that is your choice.

But me I will stick to using the correct fluid and I will not put the incorrect fluid in any vehicle that I work on.
Yeah I guess if you think they aren’t compatible. I would disagree, that it’s only a viscosity difference for fuel economy. CAFE strikes again.

Yeah I guess if you think they aren’t compatible. I would disagree, that it’s only a viscosity difference for fuel economy. CAFE strikes again.
Except it's the other way around - T-IV is a higher viscosity fluid than ATF-WS. Maxlife's viscosity is more similar to WS.
Maxlife is probably more shear stable, but just something to keep in mind...

Except it's the other way around - T-IV is a higher viscosity fluid than ATF-WS. Maxlife's viscosity is more similar to WS.
Maxlife is probably more shear stable, but just something to keep in mind...
Well either way I suppose. Yes you do need to think about long-term shear stability I agree. Much like the often misunderstood DEXRON-VI viscosity.

6 year old document for one thing. A little risky to use a multi-make CVT fluid instead of one spec'd for your car.
Yes, that document is 6 years old. The updated document on the Valvo site indicates compatibility with these "low viscosity" fluids, and no asterisk. FWIW I have used this Valvoline fluid in a 2020 Honda CVT (HCF2) and all is well.

Screenshot_20230907_194126.jpg

Last edited:
Back