HPL ATF Green - GM 8L45/8L90

Matches my experience with Amsoil (and every other multi-vehicle ATF) in a Honda application - the shift quality is simply inferior to the OE fluid.

For the record, I have not used the HPL product in a Honda application.

As I close in on the next D&F being wholly unimpressed with Hondas DW1 I wonder if the HPL green is a better choice.

I like the Amsoil SS red cap in my ‘06 Odyssey for the last 175,000 miles and my ‘07 Accord 2.4 for the last 30,000 miles. Both shift quicker and firmer compared to Honda Z1 fluid.

My Odyssey has 213,000 miles on it and the trans feels great. (Probably blow up tomorrow, now that I mentioned it), but do like the fluid.

Just thought I would give an update. I decided to continue using AMSOil and return to the Signature Series (SS) Red Cap Multi-Vehicle formula from using the thinner Signature Series Blue Cap (Fuel Efficient) formula, since the Red Cap formula was a closer match to original Honda Z1 formula specification. I have to say there is a noticeable improvement in shift quality and smoothness with my 2008 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (117K miles) using the Red Cap SS Formula. Perhaps there was a re-formulation by AMSOil as I don’t recall the Pilot shifting this good. The shifts are fast and range from smooth to nearly imperceptible. There was about 33K miles on the previous Blue Cap AMSOil trans fluid in the Pilot, so not a ton of miles on previous trans fluid. The Pilot shifted fairly decent on the Blue Cap formula, but not as good as the Red Cap formula. If I decide to experiment with HPL down the road I will circle back on BITOG. Thanks for everyone’s input. I value your opinions and hearing about your experiences with various product brands and formulas.

Back