Is Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT a suitable replacement for Mazda M-V ATF for Mazda? M-V listed on back. Specs listed

Is Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT a suitable replacement for Mazda M-V ATF? I thought so because it lists Mazda M-V on the back.

I go to Amazon and Castrol has responded to customer questions stating it isn't but recommends their Import blend which doesn't list Mazda M-V.

So what works? I've included specs below. More specifically this is for a 2006 and 2009 Mazda 3 all around 100k miles.

Valvoline Maxlife no longer lists Mazda M-V FYI.

Source: https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/mazda-atf-m-v-type-m5-alternatives.436460/

Datasheet Mazda M-V Page 6 Specs:

Flashpoint: 184 °C
Viscosity, kinematic
33.6 mm2/s 100C
7.42 mm2/s 40C
Density: 860 kg/m3

Castrol Transmax® ATF/CVT Universal Specs
Transmax ATF/CVT Universal - Castrol - PDS & MSDS https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...2A72757802588BE004C8CBD/$File/wepp-c2b3py.pdf

Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.849
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 7.1
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 34.2
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 179
Viscosity, Brookfield @ -40C (75W) ASTM D2983 mPa.s (cP) 9200
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -51
Flash Point, COC ASTM D92 °C 214

My original research lead to Pennzoil High Mileage ATF but I could not find it in any stores.

Here's my method on my 2009, syphon out about 2 qts, then 2.6 qts (max), then 2.6 qts and replace each time with miles in between. I'd like to repeat for 06.

I added 7 oz of platinum in place of Castrol on the last replacement and was planning to leave it for 20-30k.

I'd like to repeat for an 06.

Well, the third post in your link says,
Too many problems to list, stuck solenoids, stuck clutches. Unable to shift from 1st-2nd. Extremely harsh shifting up on the rest of the gears, and bucking when shifting down. This was a full fill after a flush and the levels were proper too.
Are your Mazdas CVTs like the product name says?

Well, the third post in your link says,
Too many problems to list, stuck solenoids, stuck clutches. Unable to shift from 1st-2nd. Extremely harsh shifting up on the rest of the gears, and bucking when shifting down. This was a full fill after a flush and the levels were proper too.
Are your Mazdas CVTs like the product name says?
Mazda does not have a CVT, it has an ATF. I am focused on the Castrol CVT/ATF because of the specs and it lists Mazda M-V on the back of the bottle. But I want to hear from those in the community who maybe more knowledgeable.

Edit: the negative comments you listed from the link are talking about Valvoline Maxlife.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Oh wow I didn't know Mazda's OEM M-V was made by Total :D

Despite being a supermajor, Total has little to no presence in the US market and isn't even a member of the API.

The Castrol ATF/CVT should be fine if it says M-V on the bottle :)

I was using Castrol IMPORT Transmax ATF in my 2007 Mazda3 with the 5-speed auto and I liked the way the transmission shifted with this fluid.
I would be weary of using an ATF that claims it can be used in a CVT and conventional auto transmission.
The Import Transmax fluid was available at Walmart and was decently priced. I did not use any additives to the ATF and was doing a drain and fill of the ATF every other oil change. My transmission worked great for the 100K miles I owned it, unfortunately the car was rear-ended and totaled.
Check out their PDS below, it lists Mazda M-V as recommended:
IMPORT TRANSMAX PDS
Photo from Walmart's website with Mazda M-V on the bottle:
c455c7b3-8836-484d-9b3e-5070b3bf9223.0d914214f6bd929f7cf9672e07909da1.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Castrol in our Mazda 5 transmission. I have had no problems with it and Mazda conveniently placed a drain plug on the pan to make it easy to drain and refill. And it has a dipstick.

Mazda does not have a CVT, it has an ATF. I am focused on the Castrol CVT/ATF because of the specs and it lists Mazda M-V on the back of the bottle. But I want to hear from those in the community who maybe more knowledgeable.

Edit: the negative comments you listed from the link are talking about Valvoline Maxlife.
If the product manufacturer says it is suitable there isn’t much more you’re going to be able to do. No Asian manufacturer licenses their fluids.

And I call nonsense on the Maxlife posts from that dude. He claimed problems with other fluids too.

If the product manufacturer says it is suitable there isn’t much more you’re going to be able to do. No Asian manufacturer licenses their fluids.

And I call nonsense on the Maxlife posts from that dude. He claimed problems with other fluids too.
I was using Castrol IMPORT Transmax ATF in my 2007 Mazda3 with the 5-speed auto and I liked the way the transmission shifted with this fluid.
I would be weary of using an ATF that claims it can be used in a CVT and conventional auto transmission.
The Import Transmax fluid was available at Walmart and was decently priced. I did not use any additives to the ATF and was doing a drain and fill of the ATF every other oil change. My transmission worked great for the 100K miles I owned it, unfortunately the car was rear-ended and totaled.
Check out their PDS below, it lists Mazda M-V as recommended:
IMPORT TRANSMAX PDS
Photo from Walmart's website with Mazda M-V on the bottle:
c455c7b3-8836-484d-9b3e-5070b3bf9223.0d914214f6bd929f7cf9672e07909da1.jpeg
Thanks. I was looking at an Amazon listing that didn't show it. But I'll check it out next time I'm in the store. Specs look similar to the CVT/AFT blend.

Is Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT a suitable replacement for Mazda M-V ATF? I thought so because it lists Mazda M-V on the back.

I go to Amazon and Castrol has responded to customer questions stating it isn't but recommends their Import blend which doesn't list Mazda M-V.

So what works? I've included specs below. More specifically this is for a 2006 and 2009 Mazda 3 all around 100k miles.

Valvoline Maxlife no longer lists Mazda M-V FYI.

Source: https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/mazda-atf-m-v-type-m5-alternatives.436460/

Datasheet Mazda M-V Page 6 Specs:

Flashpoint: 184 °C
Viscosity, kinematic
33.6 mm2/s 100C
7.42 mm2/s 40C
Density: 860 kg/m3

Castrol Transmax® ATF/CVT Universal Specs
Transmax ATF/CVT Universal - Castrol - PDS & MSDS https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...2A72757802588BE004C8CBD/$File/wepp-c2b3py.pdf

Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.849
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 7.1
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 34.2
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 179
Viscosity, Brookfield @ -40C (75W) ASTM D2983 mPa.s (cP) 9200
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -51
Flash Point, COC ASTM D92 °C 214

My original research lead to Pennzoil High Mileage ATF but I could not find it in any stores.

Here's my method on my 2009, syphon out about 2 qts, then 2.6 qts (max), then 2.6 qts and replace each time with miles in between. I'd like to repeat for 06.

I added 7 oz of platinum in place of Castrol on the last replacement and was planning to leave it for 20-30k.

I'd like to repeat for an 06.

At $12/qt, is it worth taking the chance of damage using non-OE fluid may cause? Less than $100 in fluid vs possible trans repair/replacement?

My 2¢. Just the way I look at things like this, personally.

Idemitsu Type M for Mazda MV is all over ebay for a less than $10/qt, often times with free shipping. Order it today, you'll have it in a day or two. I used it for almost 10 years and over 250k miles spread between to Mazdas, no problems. I initially used Ford FNR5 fluid (exact same as Mazda MV) but once my local Ford dealer stopped stocking it, I switched to the Idemitsu fluid.

I've read anecdotal claims on the various forums of using various one size fits all ATF's working in Mazda MV applications, but I was never keen on experimenting on my own cars. I've read Maxlife works fine, I've read Castrol transmax works fine, even some using Mercon-V, even though Ford, using the exact same transmission, pretty much said it will violently blow up if Mercon V is used in FNR5/Mazda MV applications. Now Ford actually recommends Mercon V in these apps. Go figure.

The Castrol is likely fine for these transmissions, if they are listing it on the bottle, then I wouldnt be too concerned.

If the OP is still interested... I bought a used 2009 Ford Fusion a few years ago which had the Mazda A/T that spec'd Mazda M-V fluid. I did a couple of D&Rs with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle (the non synthetic version before the Transmax name). It ran perfectly and I sold it to a friend who still has it and it's still running perfectly.

The Castrol IMV was the only aftermarket fluid that claimed to work for Mazda M-V* applications at that time, IIRC.

*Ford used different transmissions in that era Fusion depending on the engine...mine had the 2.3 Duratec which was based on the Mazda MZR....After further thinking about this...the Fusion may have spec'd Mazda M5 fluid and not M-V. I remember being confused that Mercon M-V sounded so similar to Mazda Msomething but was a different fluid. Since the car was a Ford I'd guess many people mistakenly used Mercon M-V in their Fusion with that Mazda transmission. At any rate the Castrol IMV (from a few year back) worked great in my 2009 Fusion with the 5 speed Mazda transmission.

Last edited:
Back