Valve Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a "quick thing" in the sense that you mean. You don't have to be a professional mechanic to do it, but:

1. There are several things to remove first, like spark plug wires or coil packs;
2. You really should replace the gasket when you're done, which often involves applying some kind of sealant paste; and
3. When you're putting the valve cover back on, you have to tighten the fasteners in a specific order (to ensure a good seal) and with a certain amount of torque (or the fasteners might break).

In other words, it's doable if you have a few basic tools and the instructions for your specific car. It's just not something to be taken lightly.

Hope that makes sense.

You can always look in to the engine through the oil cap, a flash light and a extendable mechanics mirror. Even a pic can be taken.

I would not take off your valve cover just to see the cleanliness of your engine, it can be a hassle on most cars now a days. My Audi S4 was a pain, my SE-R is not.

Only do it if you are having repairs done in that area. The Piston ring area is more critical anyway - but if its heavily varnished and sludged around the valve spring spotface the pistons may be also.

The valve covers on my
dodge van are buried and not easy to get to, anyone want to take them off, u will need 4 hrs maybe 6, its a 4hr job for plugs and wires minimum if nothting goes wrong.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I don't think it's a "quick thing" in the sense that you mean. You don't have to be a professional mechanic to do it, but:

1. There are several things to remove first, like spark plug wires or coil packs;
2. You really should replace the gasket when you're done, which often involves applying some kind of sealant paste; and
3. When you're putting the valve cover back on, you have to tighten the fasteners in a specific order (to ensure a good seal) and with a certain amount of torque (or the fasteners might break).

In other words, it's doable if you have a few basic tools and the instructions for your specific car. It's just not something to be taken lightly.

Hope that makes sense.

Yup completely answers my question...thank you sir!

No NEED to take apart a perfectly running engine. Even just a cover.

Don't mess with things as a "simple" job can become very difficult and cause MANY problems just for a look at the top of the heads.

Bill

I beat you to it. I rotated the air in the tires and changed the blinker/headlight fluid today. If I would have known you were needing the maintenance done, I would have invited you over.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
No NEED to take apart a perfectly running engine. Even just a cover.

Don't mess with things as a "simple" job can become very difficult and cause MANY problems just for a look at the top of the heads.

Amen to that. Couple weeks ago I ripped apart the valve cover and upper timing belt cover to replace a TDC sensor on the girls Honda Civic, when putting everything back together, I ended up stripping one of the holes where the valve cover bolt screws into the head.
mad.gif
Ended up having to call a mechanic friend to come over and retap the hole and put everything back together for me. What was supposed to be a "simple" job was 2 weekends of [censored] for me. On the bright side, the engine was pretty clean (i was quite surprised, its got 138k miles on it, from new to 100k was serviced by the dealer with bulk dino oil, only recently did i start putting synthetic oil and this last oil change, i put half a bottle of MMO into the crankcase about 1k miles before I pulled the valve cover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back