Value of 2006 Corolla?

I’m so surprised no one even mentioned donating the car as that’s what I will be doing next year. Maybe claim it’s worth $1k for tax purposes.

You can't claim anything. You basically get a letter from the charity saying what they got for it. And if you don't itemize, your donation doesn't really get you anything in terms of a tax deduction. But if you did and you were in the 22-24% tax bracket, even a $500 write off is only going to net you close to $100 off on your taxes. That's why it's not worth donating, better to just get the $500 cash in hand and donate $500 if you really want to.

You can't claim anything. You basically get a letter from the charity saying what they got for it. And if you don't itemize, your donation doesn't really get you anything in terms of a tax deduction. But if you did and you were in the 22-24% tax bracket, even a $500 write off is only going to net you close to $100 off on your taxes. That's why it's not worth donating, better to just get the $500 cash in hand and donate $500 if you really want to.
I itemize and already did a mock charitable donation in the tax software and received an extra $302 combined fed/state based on $1000 value. Kbb avg fair condition is around $1800 so depending what I report, this is fair.

I'd pay 2K cash for that corolla without even thinking twice. (plus it has that awesome wood grain!!! and meticulous maintenance) In my area, the rust will take out 5-8 year old cars if not cared for.

id start with $2K and go from there; nice car, those run forever and its speedometer stops at 299999 and does not move forward I think

sort of the first paycheck car or a college car

Discovered this is actually a 2005 with 294k. It has almost new Yokohamas, all fluids are perfect, recent coolant flush, trans fluid and oil change...all are full and look new, gauges are surprisingly nice. Now for the bad...air bag light is on, you can see a little rust on the quarters and rockers, the rust on the strut tower is a little worse than I thought (I can feel the metal is soft when I really push on it) and that battery is 4 years old and looks sketch. I'm not concerned about the rust since it is now in the desert, but it probably would have only lasted another winter or two back in PA.

n3y3ais.jpg

JOCWMO6.jpg

VYMtcAl.jpg

gwtNR7H.jpg
just WOW; with the original wheel hubs on! she took care of it better than proud half BITOG members here 😁

I itemize and already did a mock charitable donation in the tax software and received an extra $302 combined fed/state based on $1000 value. Kbb avg fair condition is around $1800 so depending what I report, this is fair.
You mean depending on what the charity gets. You can't take fair market value deduction anymore, you need the letter from the charity saying what they got on the sale of the car. So if they really get 1k, then you can take the 1k deduction. Otherwise if it's really worth 1k, I'd rather sell it and pocket the difference rather than take the $302 deduction.

So in a plot twist we ended up making this old beater our daily driver since we don't go more than a mile or two from the house. It took 6 months, but we managed to pile 1,000 miles on this old heap! Other than gas, I'm in it for an $89 Costco battery and two $6 car washes. It has a bit of a rough idle, but otherwise it runs pretty good and I love driving an old beater that I don't give a crap about. These faux Lexus LED gauges crack me up, they're a really cheap copy and wash out in direct sunlight.

cy1vJbY.jpg

Last edited:
Is the rough idle when cold for the most part? If so might be the intake manifold gasket. There's an updated one that's an orange color. Pretty inexpensive fix. There's a youtuber that I think is in your area that does a good job on these older Toyotas.

I have never understood why people cover seats-so they can't enjoy it but somebody who buys a fully depreciated car for $1,500.00 can.
I I’ve never understood this either. Definitely wasn’t worth the effort.

Reactions: CKN
I I’ve never understood this either. Definitely wasn’t worth the effort.
I cover the leather seats in my Tundra with an Orvis dog cover so that dog claws don't ruin the leather.

I remove the cover for passengers.

Well, not all passengers, just some passengers, the ones I like, anyway... :sneaky:

Is the rough idle when cold for the most part? If so might be the intake manifold gasket. There's an updated one that's an orange color. Pretty inexpensive fix. There's a youtuber that I think is in your area that does a good job on these older Toyotas.

The rough idle is hit and miss. It idles very high when cold - almost 2k. Once it warms up the idle settles down to a reasonable 6-700. When you stop at a light sometimes it's smooth other times it's rough, kicking it into neutral doesn't smooth it out. The IM gasket was replaced a few years ago, but from what I can tell the motor mounts are original.

The rough idle is hit and miss. It idles very high when cold - almost 2k. Once it warms up the idle settles down to a reasonable 6-700. When you stop at a light sometimes it's smooth other times it's rough, kicking it into neutral doesn't smooth it out. The IM gasket was replaced a few years ago, but from what I can tell the motor mounts are original.
The 2005 I just purchased has the same issue. The only motor mount with visible issues was the RF hydraulic mount. Replacing the mount with a beck/arnley resulted in more vibration under some conditions, but less in others. Installing a dealer mount reduced the idle vibration, but overall, had a minimal impact that was probably not worth the $165.

I think the problem is related to a slight lean condition at idle that I have not been able to resolve.

I mean @gregk24 it’s in bad shape *cough* *cough* @dishdude should just accept my $500 offer 👀
I'll up the offer to $1001. Then I can repeat this saga with it:

Last edited:
I cover the leather seats in my Tundra with an Orvis dog cover so that dog claws don't ruin the leather.

I remove the cover for passengers.

Well, not all passengers, just some passengers, the ones I like, anyway... :sneaky:
I do that same for hauling around dogs, or if I have to haul around bulky items on the seat. So I guess I do protect my seats depending on the circumstances 😂.

1 year update. This is still our only car, and we have yet to put 2,500 miles on it. Only repair so far was a new battery and that was preventative, the old one just looked sketchy. Haven't even changed the oil or any fluids, they still look full and clean. It doesn't run smooth or well, but it always starts! Loses a lot of power on hot days like today as well...but I'm not in a hurry. I hope to get it to 299,999 to see the odo stop counting.

ae14ba393465121390419f24b412fd3b5eea97ae-1.jpg

Back