uv dye for oil leak

I'm trying to find an oil leak, and I already had a UV flashlight so I tried shining it around the engine before adding any UV dye, and found that the oil naturally glows yellow (without dye). So my question is, what does the dye do that makes it easier to see the leak more than just the natural yellow glow of the oil? If I add dye, can I tell the difference between the oil with dye in it vs the oil without dye under the UV light? And does it make any difference to use yellow glasses (haven't gotten those yet)?

If I add dye, can I tell the difference between the oil with dye in it vs the oil without dye under the UV light? .... Probably
And does it make any difference to use yellow glasses ? .... Glasses are for 'not' exposing your eyes to UV light

I just bought a UV Flashlight that has 110 LED's / great Flashlight for when cleaning the house.
My eyes are a little strained without the 'yellow' glasses. So now I do use them.

The small UV Flashlights that come in the UV Dye Kits are very small / may not need the yellow glasses for occasional use.

Also, when using the Flashlight, it's better at night-time.

Last edited:
The yellow glasses are to block short-wave UV, the flashlight type lamps are not short-wave. But it doesn't hurt to use them if you wish.

Most UV lamps even the very bright ones have glass covers which block short-wave. You need a special quartz lamp to allow that wavelength to pass.

Back