USPS STILL IN NO CARRY LOAD

I bought an item. I had no idea where it was coming from, but it turned out to be from within state.

It headed in my direction, then went to NH. Why? I have no clue. I assume it was a machine printed label. It was a purchase from a legit corporation, not some random person. So I can’t imagine that NJ and NH got mixed up.

It says it is going to be delivered today. I won’t hold my breath.

Yet sometimes stuff will go 1500 miles on a day, first class.

37C4FF69-4332-47B1-8CE1-1F285CD8DEAD.png

2 weeks ago I paid FedEx $46 to overnight my dad his car title from VA to FL. It took 7 days to get there and the tracking didn't update at all.

Pretty much any form of mail (USPS, UPS, FedEx) has been really unreliable in my area for the past year.

Sent a package from Florida to Connecticut 10 days ago via FedEx. It got hung up in Tennessee up until a day or two ago because of the weather, unusual ice, snow, freezing temps is my understanding, and it was a tremendous amount of stuff that was delayed. It just arrived in Connecticut today.

Most of the major shipping companies use a hub and spoke system. When we sent packages within Connecticut in past years, it first went out of state to a hub via airplane before being sent back to its destination via airplane. That is the only way the major shipping companies can obtain economies of scale and efficiency.

Did you put it in a box or just mail the plastic cylinder? My wix oil sample had a note included that said if you mail the cylinder it will take forever so put it in a box
Exactly, or it's an obvious red flag that will prompt the USPS to delay the mailed sample while they inspect it, because it can be considered a hazardous or prohibited mailing by some postal employees. People should repackage the sample in a plain, small box and pay the postage instead of using the pre-paid label.

I've had no real issues with the USPS here in Minneapolis. I get almost everything delivered to my work, and it always shows up on time +/- 1 day, which is fine. UPS has been stellar, as well.

FedEx? They can shove it where the sun don't shine. I can't stand their inability to deliver a package on time, or their convoluted transfer process. Every single package I get from them will hit their St. Paul distribution center, THEN get send to the Rodgers facility, only to be driven all the way back down to Minneapolis. It delays the package 1-2 days every time. Why on earth can't you just drive the thing 10 miles down 94?

As jhs914 stated, USPS Tracking App is WORTHLESS.

All the below from Central Florida.
I sent a Money Order to SiriusXM in Philadelphia. Sent Certified so I could track it. Showed it left my local location but then said “in transit”. For two weeks it said that. Finally showed up as delivered two weeks later. Same thing happened to me two years ago when I sent a certified letter to San Antonio TX.

My local USPS employees “take their sweet time”. In the building, they are SLOW and SLOWER.

I often tell people that having visited Post Offices in France and Italy, I’ve come to the conclusion that Post Offices all over the world are all the same. Their employees are also SLOW.

Right now I'm sort of sweating bullets because I have a decently valuable fountain pen in limbo(Montblanc 149 OB if anyone is interested, paid $500 for it). The seller sent it Express on Monday with guaranteed delivery yesterday, and it's last scan was Monday night out of a distribution center. I wouldn't worry as much if I knew it was sitting IN a distribution center, but the fact that the last was a departure scan has me worried.
And Priority Express Mail has only $100 of insurance.

And Priority Express Mail has only $100 of insurance.

Good news is it arrived today.

The guy paid $45 to ship it to minimize its time in the mail(even though I said regular priority was fine). In the past, when I've shipped Express, I've gotten refunds when it didn't arrive by the stated time.

I mentioned this to him, and he said they specifically printed "Delivery time not guaranteed" at the bottom of the receipt(or wording to that effect). The last Express package I sent was a couple of days before Christmas, and it stated guaranteed noon the next day. It arrived late in the afternoon the next day.

My guess is that they probably paid out a LOT of Express refunds in the Christmas madness this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the guarantee is gone for the forseeable future. UPS and Fed-Ex suspended refunds on guaranteed services sometime last spring I think.

These days delivery is really all over the place, even for Amazon.

We placed a toy order for our niece last year, 2 weeks before Xmas. It went in and out of stock and then estimate delivery after Xmas, then it becomes so late we decided to order an alternative for her to get it first (so she has something to unbox), and that also end up with an estimate delivery after Xmas.

Finally 2 hours before Xmas eve the original order arrived, then a few hours later the next order arrived. You just cannot get any predictability these days, at least they arrived on time.

What I learn now is that it is just easier to buy and stock up, and just not worry about things being delivered just in time (nobody gets anything just in time, it is someone else holding the inventories for you). Look at the auto industry, they cancelled their chip orders and now they are shut down because of the lack of chips.

I shipped a package via FedEx 2/23/21 from N.C. to Ohio. It moved 15 miles in the first 48 hours. It’s now in Benton, Illinois with tracking saying it’s scheduled for delivery today. :unsure: All transportation services are swimming upstream, not just the USPS.

Right now I'm sort of sweating bullets because I have a decently valuable fountain pen in limbo(Montblanc 149 OB if anyone is interested, paid $500 for it). The seller sent it Express on Monday with guaranteed delivery yesterday, and it's last scan was Monday night out of a distribution center. I wouldn't worry as much if I knew it was sitting IN a distribution center, but the fact that the last was a departure scan has me worried.
Probably sitting in a semi trailer behind the distribution center.

Now on Day 8 waiting for a 2-day priority package that weighs 2 pounds from Tuscon AZ to Kansas City. Last 2 orders from this specialty coffee roaster have taken 8 and 11 days. Looks like were in the running for a new record.
Must be the new rate: "low-priority mail."

United Airlines has been fined more than $49 million for fraud on postal service contracts for transportation of international mail.

The agreement: The Justice Department announced on Friday that United had entered into a non-prosecution agreement and agreed to pay $17 million in criminal penalties and to return funds that were received through a fraud scheme perpetrated by former employees of United’s Cargo Division.

From 2012 to 2015, United submitted false delivery scan data, which it owed USPS as part of its contract both when the airline took possession of the mail receptacles and when they delivered them. United was submitting automated delivery scans “based on aspirational delivery times,” not the actual time of pickup or delivery.

“Through this data automation scheme, United secured millions of dollars in payments from the USPS to which United was not entitled under the [International Commercial Air] contracts,” the Justice Department said.

I have a number of retired postal workers as neighbors who are competent people. They say the PO is Running everyone off then hiring part time workers. They are hoping FedEx or Ups or Amazon will take over. I doubt Fedex or UPS would want such an incompetent organization.

I have a number of retired postal workers as neighbors who are competent people. They say the PO is Running everyone off then hiring part time workers. They are hoping FedEx or Ups or Amazon will take over. I doubt Fedex or UPS would want such an incompetent organization.
None of those carriers would be interested. Why would one of those want to inherit the mess of debt and the union.

Back