USPS lost my oil sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say I did have a car part I bought from someone and got shipped FedEx. I thought it was never going to make it. It would get scanned in a few places then drop off the grid for a week at a time, showing up again in random locations all over the east side of the US. Once it showed up in its origination DC for a second time. I think it took over a month to arrive. I was convinced it was getting into some crevice in the trailers so it wasnt getting unloaded where it was supposed to. How else would it end up taking a 5000 mile trip across the US. I think it dropped out 3 different times IIRC.
It wasn't a small package either. Probably around 6x6x48 inch.

I send samples to Blackstone on a routine basis (work - diesel engine driven generators).
I print and include Blackstone's postal letter with each shipping:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/postal-letter.php
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/postal-requirements.php

So far sending several samples, not a issue..... yet

Since I do this on a routine basis, I have at work built a form just like the slip Blackstone includes with each sample. This way I can use the pc to type in all the applicable information/remarks so its clear to read. I also use a label maker for the info on each sample bottle, wrap up all sample bottles together in bubble wrap, then box up the samples with letter & MSDS & make labels for the shipping box. Its just the way work requires & not my idea. Close to doing the same for our bulk diesel samples. Its all contracted business requirements on our end.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting. I've never had an oil sample lost by usps. I have had a few parcels never arrive by UPS.

Of course, UPS costs a lot more money to walk up and ship.

This sounds like someone who went to Walmart to buy a watch, and can't comprehend why they don't get treated the same as the guy who goes to the Rolex retailer.

When I ship oil samples via USPS, it costs between $1.70-$2.70. UPS is $9.70 retail.

Don't forget the tax money that you have already paid that USPS gets in addition to that $1.70-2.70.

Interesting. I've never had an oil sample lost by usps. I have had a few parcels never arrive by UPS.

This sounds like someone who went to Walmart to buy a watch, and can't comprehend why they don't get treated the same as the guy who goes to the Rolex retailer.

When I ship oil samples via USPS, it costs between $1.70-$2.70. UPS is $9.70 retail.

Are you seriously suggesting incompetence should be accepted because the shipping cost is lower?

PICKING UP AND DELIVERING THINGS IS THEIR JOB.

Originally Posted By: Subdued

Are you seriously suggesting incompetence should be accepted because the shipping cost is lower?

Thank you. Somehow this was turning in to a thread beating me up for expecting USPS to do what I paid them for. It's not like I was bargain shopping, I just took it to the post office, asked them to send it with tracking and paid them what they said it would cost.

Originally Posted By: BobThe
I have heard on here of them losing samples and now it has happened to me. This will be a news story when it gets delivered in 20 years.

The US Postal Service delivers somewhere north of 500 million pieces of mail and packages every day. During the course of that, there is bound to be some loss. Quite frankly, it's just a sample of oil; it's not as if it were something critical.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Don't forget the tax money that you have already paid that USPS gets in addition to that $1.70-2.70.

Other than the US Postal Service doesn't receive tax dollars as part of its daily operating budget.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Other than the US Postal Service doesn't receive tax dollars as part of its daily operating budget.

I stand corrected, I thought they did, but is seems they have not since the '80s.

Originally Posted By: Subdued

And they do a pretty good job.

And I'm sure that if you paid the registered mail rate, which is likely still cheaper for this shipment than fedex or ups retail, it wouldn't get lost either.

Thus my comment of Walmart vs Rolex still stands.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
"Don't forget the tax money that you have already paid that USPS gets in addition to that $1.70-2.70."

This is a bogus claim. The USPS receives ZERO federal funding.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I stand corrected, I thought they did, but is seems they have not since the '80s.

Like I said above, I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Are you guys shipping them in the obvious looking container? If so, pop it into a small box and it should get through unnoticed. The weight of a small cardboard box should keep it under the weight limit to use first class postage.

Bingo!
Don't let USPS know it's oil and it won't get lost.
Don't let Fed-Ex know either.
Not saying all the handlers will toss it. But there are some that will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back