USPS lost my oil sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few of the WIX UOA kits I bought off of Amazon on a deal some time ago and figured it was time for our Armada's yearly UOA on its last OCI. I sent it on the 1st as well as another package for work both first class with tracking. I knew my work item had been delivered so I decided to see where my oil sample was. Tracking showed it left for the sorting facility on 3/1 and that's it. I then called USPS to open up a case with them. They said it could take up to three days for someone to call me back. I was surprised that someone from USPS's destination post office in Ohio called me this afternoon. It was her response that was disappointing. "Well, we will keep looking for it". Um no. You need to light a fire under someone to go find it. That is why I have tracking on it. It never left Indiana. Why in the world is the destination post office calling me? I paid the post office money to take my package and deliver it to its destination. Tracking says it never left Indiana, so why look in Ohio. Tracking shows it left the facility and went to sorting and hasn't left. Why aren't they following their own tracking?! You know, it's no wonder FedEx and UPS can survive and be successful with USPS as their competition. Next time I am not even going to bother with USPS. I have heard on here of them losing samples and now it has happened to me. This will be a news story when it gets delivered in 20 years.

Yup, this is a common story with USPS and oil samples. I think someone gets a wild hair and thinks the sample is some biohazard thing and it ends up detained somewhere. Once I got a sample kit from Blackstone, and it showed up in a biohazard bag. Someone at are local office thought it was such.

Are you guys shipping them in the obvious looking container? If so, pop it into a small box and it should get through unnoticed. The weight of a small cardboard box should keep it under the weight limit to use first class postage.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Are you guys shipping them in the obvious looking container? If so, pop it into a small box and it should get through unnoticed. The weight of a small cardboard box should keep it under the weight limit to use first class postage.

Yes, or even a small padded envelope. I think some guys are shipping the sample in the plastic bottle container which can raise red flags at the P.O.

Since your in Indianapolis why not use Polaris and drop it off since thats where they are located?

My samples always arrive, but can take from 1 to 4 weeks. They can seem lost on USPS sorting, but always arrive.

So you're complaining that you didn't get your 70 cents worth for purchasing tracking confirmation?

The reason the destination post office called you is that it's possible the item would reach there without other scans showing up. For instance, if the bar code got wet, smudged or defaced, it would not be read, put the package would continue to its destination.

Patience is a virtue. It may take two weeks to show up, and then suddenly there it is. It's not like you sent it by Registered Mail. Then the Postal Service would be able to check the chain of custody. Relax, pal. Life is too short. It's used motor oil.

Everyone makes this so complicated.

Put the sample in a box, padded envelope, etc. I have a stash of these from Amazon deliveries.

Print out a prepaid Priority Mail label, affix it to the package, and put it in your mailbox.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Put the sample in a box, padded envelope, etc. I have a stash of these from Amazon deliveries.

Print out a prepaid Priority Mail label, affix it to the package, and put it in your mailbox.

Except that costs a minimum of $5.95, when you can send it in a small box via cheaper First Class Mail.

My carrier probably drank it...........he is known at the neighborhood watering hole
10.gif

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So you're complaining that you didn't get your 70 cents worth for purchasing tracking confirmation?

The reason the destination post office called you is that it's possible the item would reach there without other scans showing up. For instance, if the bar code got wet, smudged or defaced, it would not be read, put the package would continue to its destination.

Patience is a virtue. It may take two weeks to show up, and then suddenly there it is. It's not like you sent it by Registered Mail. Then the Postal Service would be able to check the chain of custody. Relax, pal. Life is too short. It's used motor oil.

It was something like $4 to ship it and the kit was $20. I am not at all concerned with the cost of it. My issue is that they lost it and don't seem to have a process in please to find it. Cost is not the point. The point here is simple and repeated incompetence by USPS. I had two packages, one going to MN and the other going to OH. The MN package got to MN quick and was tracked all the way. For work we use UPS and FedEx all the time and our packages get there on time and are tracked from start to finish. To hear "Well, we will keep looking for it" is simply one of the dumbest things I think I have heard.

They lost it from my post office to the sorting center in Indianapolis.

What if this wasn't just an oil sample? What if this was something someone actually *needed* to get. What I was sending doesn't matter. The fact that they lost it does. Patience is not a virtue when dealing with incompetence.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Except that costs a minimum of $5.95, when you can send it in a small box via cheaper First Class Mail.

$4 for First Class that includes a trip to the post office and waiting in line.

Or, $6 that I can ship from home and just put it in the mailbox. That's 2-3 day Priority Mail that includes tracking and insurance.

My time and sanity is worth more.

Interesting. I've never had an oil sample lost by usps. I have had a few parcels never arrive by UPS.

Of course, UPS costs a lot more money to walk up and ship.

This sounds like someone who went to Walmart to buy a watch, and can't comprehend why they don't get treated the same as the guy who goes to the Rolex retailer.

When I ship oil samples via USPS, it costs between $1.70-$2.70. UPS is $9.70 retail.

First, sorry for your issue.

Otoh, recently shipped two cartridge filters to another member via USPS from NC to KCMO in a reused Amazon box, just first class. Arrived two days later at destination. I followed on tracking all the way. Relatively inexpensive, afaik much less the UPS/FedEx alternative.

OK, we have the monthly thread for bashing the USPS out of the way for March. However, April is just around the corner.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Bingo! Use a small box. It will go through without the slightest hitch. I usually use Priority BUT First Class will now accept up to 16 oz and is much less.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
First, sorry for your issue.

Otoh, recently shipped two cartridge filters to another member via USPS from NC to KCMO in a reused Amazon box, just first class. Arrived two days later at destination. I followed on tracking all the way. Relatively inexpensive, afaik much less the UPS/FedEx alternative.

First Class is the way to go if you can make the weight.

Our small business has shipped thousands upon thousands of packages USPS, no carrier is perfect but for value and reliability you can't beat the USPS.

I am convinced Big Brown (UPS) manages to get a few packages through simply because they don't have time to destroy them all. They give it a good try though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back