Using Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
The 02 Xterra started to run a bit rough at idle but seemed to be okay otherwise so decided to run a bottle of Techron through it. I dumped a bottle into 1.2 tank of gas and ran it pretty much out. The rough idle cleared up after a couple of 30 mile trips and some around town driving. Last summer I had an injector intermittently sticking and ran 3 tanks with Techron that didn't cure the injector so I replaced it but it did run smoother. I was surprised how fast it cleaned the injectors, is that normal? I don't use it regularly and use TT gas 95% of the time.

To add my 0.02 cents... I use that religiously on my personal vehicles and Harley. I use the Chevron Techron Concentrate and with the Harley give it an extra kick with 1/2 bottle to 5 gallons. Not sure if wasting my $$$ but gives me piece of mind.

I greatly improved the performance of a 3000GT back in 1996 with it. Rough idle, stumbling on acceleration, and general sluggishness was cleared up with one tank of Chevron 93 and a bottle of Techron. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I wish I could say that it has actually worked for me. I use it everytime I but a new vehicle for schits and giggles, never noticed any diff at all. Glad it worked for you guys!

I was recently given (as in free) a 2002 Blazer with 106K miles on it.
The Blazer has throttle body injection.
Ran a bottle of Techron just because.
Will the Techron help with throttle body injection?
Blazer ran strong before and after.

To a degree. TBI isn't as focused on a fine spray pattern as MPFI, and the spray side isn't as restrictive or narrow. Fuel delivery actually reminds me a little bit of an automatic drip coffee pot. A severe amount of pollution may affect drivability, and Techron can certainly serve to keep the passage clear. I did have to use a hair dryer on an old Sunbird many years ago in the dead of a Wyoming winter, as the injector froze shut and the engine wouldn't fire.

Definitely change the fuel filter on that truck. A restricted fuel system can make a dramatic difference.

Reactions: Y_K
I was surprised how fast it cleaned the injectors, is that normal? I don't use it regularly and use TT gas 95% of the time.

Yes, working that fast is quite common.

I usually buy the Gumout Regane HM - it's a little cheaper and supposedly a little more concentrated. When it's on sale/special, I'll but hte Techron and use them interchangeably. The active ingredient is the same in both - polyetheramine (PEA). I toss a $5 bottle of Gumout Regane (or Techron) in each car about every 3,500 miles (e.g., 1/2 way through a 7,500 mi OCI).

It will work anywhere the fuel touches before it combusts. But much more so in pre-combustion areas as it has longer to work than in the combustion chamber (as I understand it). If the area is wetted by either fuel or fuel-air, it will work AFAIK.

Technically you don't have TBI in the same way a 90's GM motor has TBI. 2002 was the first year of the upgraded spider MPFI for the Blazer. But to answer your question, a bottle of Techron will still help keep those injectors clean.

Technically you don't have TBI in the same way a 90's GM motor has TBI. 2002 was the first year of the upgraded spider MPFI for the Blazer. But to answer your question, a bottle of Techron will still help keep those injectors clean.
thanks I didn't know about spider MPFI but googled it.

Back