Using Smaller Filter?

I know well the use of larger filters such as the Wic 51515, etc.

I am wondering about using smaller filters. We have a larger stock of small 51348 filters from power equipment that we no longer use. I would like to use them up on applications that call for the mid-size 51085 filter. Speaking to the tech-line at wix, the only real difference is burst pressure, and media surface area. Given these are changed long before they might clog and bypass, we are considering using the small filters.

Any comments?

Much appreciated

There's nothing wrong with smaller filters especially if you don't do extended intervals. most people wont go beyond half of the contaminant holding capacity unless they live in very dusty places or use their filters for twice the rated mileage on the can. As for burst pressure you'd have to do something stupid to even get a cheap $1 white can from rock auto to blow up or if the pressure relief valve in the oil pump was broken. I'd go ahead and use it without worry. I'd start the vehicle up before the change then change it and start it up to let it prime for some seconds then shut it off and hear it again. If the bypass is too out of spec for what the engine likes you may hear a bit of noise that'll go away in a second on start ups that may not have been there. Some filters do that to some engines. Although not deadly it's not great.

I may have this wrong, but I thought Hamp used to sell a filter that was smaller by about half, and was marketed as a technique to increase oil pressure. I assumed it was the smaller filter media that increased the pressure, but perhaps there were other factors. I thought Hamp even said it was about a 5psi increase at high RPMs. Am I mistaken?

I may have this wrong, but I thought Hamp used to sell a filter that was smaller by about half, and was marketed as a technique to increase oil pressure. I assumed it was the smaller filter media that increased the pressure, but perhaps there were other factors. I thought Hamp even said it was about a 5psi increase at high RPMs. Am I mistaken?
Yeah, more oil pressure on the inlet side of the filter, not the oil pressure on the downside of the filter which is engine oil pressure. A more flow restrictive oil filter will cause more delta-p across the filter, and in an extreme case could cause the PD oil pump to hit pressure relief.

My dodge 318 plow truck has a 3600 instead of a PH16 because it was lucky to get an oil change at all, LOL.

No issues at all using the smaller filter as long as it is an allowed option - meaning it fits per the parts catalog. Bigger filters are always a plus with the additional filter media and little bit more oil in the system however like said above - you probably won't hit the dirt holding capacity with your change intervals.

Back