Using oversize filter on 2.0 duratech (11’ Focus)

Debating running a tough guard 3600 or WIX 51516 on my 11’ Focus 2.0 duratech. Believe blufeb95 is using oversize filter.

Thank You all in advance

The OEM FL910s is already a decent sized filter for a 2.0 engine.

I'm genuinely curious what a larger filter will accomplish.

I wouldn't. With how low that filter sits to the ground. I was always afraid to run an extended filter on my 2011.
Yes; this.
My daughter had a 2.0L Focus and that was always my concern; hangs too low.

I had a friend recently run some of the HPL EC30 in his Honda Element; 150k miles on it. The filter was moderatly loaded after 5k miles. But the next FCI and the filter was fairly clean.

'Stude - consider running an Ultra or other top-tier filter with high capacity, using the correct size. There's no reason to think it wouldn't do the job nicely. Cut the first one open perhaps at 5k miles and see how it's fairing. If all is well, no reason not to extend the FCI along with the OCI.

Debating running a tough guard 3600 or WIX 51516 on my 11’ Focus 2.0 duratech. Believe blufeb95 is using oversize filter.

Thank You all in advance
I've done so on a 2.5L in an Escape, but on a 2.0L in a Focus it does sit a little closer to the ground, I could see why some people may not feel comfortable with that, but I do believe the 2011 used an oil filter adapter plate that stick a good distance off the block with no lip on it to prevent you from using the xg16 equivalent.

Yes; this.
My daughter had a 2.0L Focus and that was always my concern; hangs too low.

I had a friend recently run some of the HPL EC30 in his Honda Element; 150k miles on it. The filter was moderatly loaded after 5k miles. But the next FCI and the filter was fairly clean.

'Stude - consider running an Ultra or other top-tier filter with high capacity, using the correct size. There's no reason to think it wouldn't do the job nicely. Cut the first one open perhaps at 5k miles and see how it's fairing. If all is well, no reason not to extend the FCI along with the OCI.
Thank You dnewton3

I have two Fram endurance filters. I’ll run one to 10k and cut it open.

With the new changes on the Tough Guard I would expect good dirt capacity for cleanup at least 7500-10000 miles. I'm not too familiar with the wix but if their efficiency is not good then it may not do some of what you're expecting (Cleanup the engine & the filter to catch the junk). The Endurance filters should go even further. And of course you are one step ahead of us on showing the pics after the run! (y) 👀

Is there room for the PH43? Shorter and fatter.

My 2¢
It's only marginally taller than the XG16 and doesn't appear widely available, but from what I can see from videos I've seen the 16/43/8A size filters can probably fit but in the case of the 8A size like the 3600/2870A may interfere with the splash shields or if it doesn't interfere with the splash shields it may sit too low for comfort for some people.

Back