using older oils without the api donut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I occasionally see SJ rated oil that doesn't have the api donut since I guess that spec isn't licensed anymore so they can no longer use the api donut, but the bottle will still say meets specs for sj oil or whatever. Is it a bad idea to use an oil like this? Is it technically an SJ oil just doesn't have the certified API donut? Or could it be some knock off oil that may not even meet the spec?

No donut= no running it in a vehicle in which you care about or want to last. Unless it is either A) a hooptyfied car or truck you REALLY don't care about if it were to blow up or B) A 1980s Brigg and Stratton lawn mower that you don't care if it blows up either.

No API = "Do not use on a modern car." I'd never use a non-API oil unless my car specifically required use of a non-standard oil (e.g., if my car was a classic 1930s car that ran better on older spec oil).

Just say no.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I occasionally see SJ rated oil that doesn't have the api donut since I guess that spec isn't licensed anymore so they can no longer use the api donut, but the bottle will still say meets specs for sj oil or whatever. Is it a bad idea to use an oil like this? Is it technically an SJ oil just doesn't have the certified API donut? Or could it be some knock off oil that may not even meet the spec?
Are you talking about older oil like Valvoline that is SJ, or new oil that says meets SJ specs and isn't actually API certified?

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Are you talking about older oil like Valvoline that is SJ, or new oil that says meets SJ specs and isn't actually API certified?

I'm talking about new oil that says meets the specs but doesn't have the donut.

Stay away from it.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
No API = "Do not use on a modern car." I'd never use a non-API oil unless my car specifically required use of a non-standard oil (e.g., if my car was a classic 1930s car that ran better on older spec oil).

Just say no.

I use Mobil Delvac MX 15/40. No doughnut's in sight, just some "meets or exceeds SL/SJ" jive.

I should worry?

If so, truckers should be totally terrified.

Just say nuts

Last edited:
Any older engine from about 1982 on downward will probably run just fine on it. I'll bet if I go digging around on our old farm, I'll find old bottles of Amoco "SD/SE - CC/CD" oil. What you have is likely better.

Why do grocery stores and convenience stores market "SA" oil as "motor oil" ?!?!?!?!?!

I would suggest looking at what other specifications are claimed on the bottle. For example motorcycle oils that meet current specs may only claim SJ (this is actually quite common) and so the oil might be designed with a different application in mind than a passenger car.

I think OP's thinking of the "Accell 10w40" that "could" meet SF spec.

It sounds like it has a basic additive package and won't immediately ruin things, but it's priced at $2.xx a quart, and for that, why not just get modern, certified, supertech? What's the advantage?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I think OP's thinking of the "Accell 10w40" that "could" meet SF spec.

It sounds like it has a basic additive package and won't immediately ruin things, but it's priced at $2.xx a quart, and for that, why not just get modern, certified, supertech? What's the advantage?

I thought it was just because that spec was no longer allowed to be certified by API so they just keep making the SJ and put meets the spec.

I would not be scared of running API SJ oils, i wouldn't do a very long OCI on one but i would use it, API SL oils are still very common here and you can find it all day on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Depends who and what? If it's something like Valvoline VR-1, well, I trust Valvoline. If it's someone I have never heard of or don't trust, I'd stay away.

But you'd probably do that if it was certified, so the certification aspect seems a bit irrelevant.

I mean, I've used uncertified oil before, when it's from a company I trust. With Valvoline's VR-1, if they say it's 10w-30 and with, say, SJ additive levels, I believe them. I'd trust Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Red Line uncertified oils (all within reason of course). But, if it's something I've never heard of with no API Donut, that's more of a problem.

The API Donut and other certification markings are there to make sure that people know things are certified, particularly those that know little about oil. It also helps police the market some. Most BITOGers know what SN/GF-5 is with or without the Donut and Starburst. OEM manuals and oil company literature do have to depend on certification and the marks for public education. Plus, a minimum certification is always nice.

Note that some companies have earned enough trust over the years that their uncertified products are trusted to be what they claim. That doesn't apply to a lot of companies out there.

Fair enough. I suppose that's what I'm doing with the Delvac MX, (though with less info) but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves now so I'll have to find something else.

Pity. It was a good price (for here)too.

That's always fun when something interesting disappears from the shelves. Here, when it comes to specs, the 0w-40 and 0w-30 HDEOs occasionally lack the specifications, whereas the 5w-30 and 5w-40 (and obviously 10w-30 and 15w-40) HDEOs have the API and ACEA stuff, along with the laundry list of OEM approvals.

I suppose I feel that with truck oils, (even though they aren't optimised for my sub-litre 3 cyl petrol engine), there's an informed fleet consumer base with a big investment at stake, which is another layer of reassurance.

I checked the website (don't have the jug handy) and it seems to confirm the lack of certification on the Delvac MX. Dunno what it would cost them but I suppose they don't consider it necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back