Using oil after change in brands??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 95 Landcruiser with 130K miles. For the last 100K miles I have used Mobil 1 5w30 and alway the Toyota oil filter, it has never used any oil between changes (6K miles). A buddy at the gym convinced me to try Amsoil Synthetic 5w30. With the Amsoil I have had to add 1 1/2 qts in the last 5,600 miles. Whats the deal with the oil useage with the Amsoil? (the truck does not leak any oil) I am coming up on the 6K mile oil and filter change interval and I'm thinking about going back to the Mobil 1 5w30 since my truck did not use any oil between changes with the Mobil 1. What would you do?

Both Mobil 1 and Amsoil are excellent oils. There's a good chance that the Amsoil's detergent package, being different from Mobil 1's, is cleaning deposits left behind by the Mobil. Your consumption should return to normal in a couple of oil changes as soon as the new oil has cleaned things up and formed it's own seal.

Mobil 1 does not leave significant deposits, but any oil will leave something behind. It's likely that the same thing would have happened if you'd used Amsoil for 100k then switched to Mobil1.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

Mobil 1 does not leave significant deposits, but any oil will leave something behind. It's likely that the same thing would have happened if you'd used Amsoil for 100k then switched to Mobil 1.
Ken

That's what I thought. I will go back to Mobil 1, it was cheaper. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back