Using JB Weld to (temporarily) re-attach a snapped CV drive axle (your thoughts?)

You know what, this wouldn't work. The JB WELD with that pipe coupling could hold vertical forces, but wouldn't prevent the forces pushing outward, horizontally.

Idea, abandoned.

Actually, could this work if it's REINFORCED with steel clamps??
Again, the trip to the Honda dealership is only 1.5 miles away.. creeping very slowly

Might be worth a try? Perhaps I can test initially by gently going forward and reverse and then braking with some power.

Remember: the CV axle snapped as I was BRAKING.
How old is the car? Just get the CV shaft replaced.

AFAICT not a single person tried to apply the physical attributes of JB weld to this issue. JB Weld can handle a pulling force of 5,000 psi of tension. If the sheared surface of that axle was greater than one square inch in surface cross section would mean you would need 5,000 lbs of force to separate it. It’s more complicated in that the failure surface shows a sheared failure.

If properly cleaned up, and glued I can say the would be no way for a human being to pull it apart. Adhesives are even used in airplane construction.

Would I do it. No. Should the OP try it? Why not. You have to make sure you didn’t accelerate hard. To test it apply the brakes and lightly tap the gas peddle. There are all sorts of weird JB videos out there. :D

I’ll take this on. It’s fun. This engine puts out a maximum of 106 lb ft. I need a measurement of the surface area of the sheared portion of the shaft in square inches.

B713D732-B300-4A3E-90AA-70D9984BD880.png

You know what, this wouldn't work. The JB WELD with that pipe coupling could hold vertical forces, but wouldn't prevent the forces pushing outward, horizontally.

Idea, abandoned.
Don’t give up yet! Technically it’s the torque in the shaft that’s most important. The forces pushing outward ( in tension) are very small.

Last edited:
Can we get a ban on Askhole threads?
Why because it does not meet your standards of what should be started by a member?
CENSORSHIP is a word that comes to mind. While I understand there are some things that should and are monitored for content threads like this are not harming anyone in anyway. The OP had a legitimate question some of us answered it. Now it got to be funny. But really even considered deleted .... I am glad you are not a moderator administrator or owner of this forum! :mad:

Yep. Seeing pics, stuff the axle back in the boot and wrap 50 feet of duct tape around everything real tight, put the car in neutral and GENTLY pull it to the dealer. Maybe use the e-brake to stop?
Red Green would have this fixed with JB Weld and duct tape and wouldn’t bother to get a new axle. Just sayin’.

AFAICT not a single person tried to apply the physical attributes of JB weld to this issue. JB Weld can handle a pulling force of 5,000 psi of tension. If the sheared surface of that axle was greater than one square inch in surface cross section would mean you would need 5,000 lbs of force to separate it. It’s more complicated in that the failure surface shows a sheared failure.

If properly cleaned up, and glued I can say the would be no way for a human being to pull it apart. Adhesives are even used in airplane construction.

Would I do it. No. Should the OP try it? Why not. You have to make sure you didn’t accelerate hard. To test it apply the brakes and lightly tap the gas peddle. There are all sorts of weird JB videos out there. :D
A CV axle would not be pulling force.. if anything it would be tension load? The JB weld would likely not hold for very long if at all on a CV axle repair such as described. Also it would depend on the 2 surfaces and their condition which also include a complete cleaning to the point of almost being sterile. And lastly the repaired to be most effect would have to have both parts of the axle as tightly together to match the broken surface area and then possibly a top coat applied around the dried repaired break area. But I agree why not try something if you are not finding the answer you want about a subject. That called the 5 steps in Scientific method of problem solving.

Back