Using JB Weld to (temporarily) re-attach a snapped CV drive axle (your thoughts?)

All I want to know is did the OP manage to get the car towed?
My appointment with Honda dealership is on Tuesday, I'm told that I can have it towed to them earlier but that they wouldn't work on it until Tuesday.

No special provision will be made for me just because the accident/incident that this recall was meant to prevent----did in fact HAPPEN.

I'll keep y'all update for those interested.

UPDATE:

So, I had the car towed to the local Honda dealership. As expected they were very busy, there are regular people driving in who have to wait some half an hour just to check in, then more waiting to speak to the service advisor. In my case, checking in was quicker since I was a special 'tow in' case.

Since I have never performed any service at any Honda dealership, I was registered first then given my paper work and told to wait. I knew the wait would be very long, possibly a day or two, so I took the Subway train home.

All in all, it took about 6 hours before I retrieved my car.

Since this is a recall, I didn't have to pay for anything except for the tow which was 150.

I knew about the recall in December of 2020 BEFORE I had bought the car.

Why had I waited so long? There are several reasons for this:

1. I hate dealerships and this one seems to get especially bad reviews. However, the mechanic did a competent job: both CV axles were replaced. It's all those other people who seem to ignore the customers and don't seem to have their stuff together.

2. Since the 'dynamic damper' hid the rusted corrosion ROT underneath the CV axle, I reasoned that I would be OK if I were gentle with acceleration, in fact the breakage happened at very low speeds, actually when braking (many FitFreak.net users also reported the same.) That rubber 'dynamic damper' piece really did hide how bad corroded the cv axle was.

3. Since I hate dealerships so much, I procrastinated and rescheduled my appointment a total of twice. So, this could have been done and over with as early as May of 2021. I made excuses such as, "well, maybe they don't have the part yet since the recall was only just announced in December of 2020." You get the idea, there are certain personalities such as myself who worry and procrastinate. It's a bad habit one must break. Be a warrior, not a worrier.

---------------------------------------------------------

One interesting of note is that after the CV axles were replaced, I noticed less "hesitation" when accelerating. When driving, after coming to a stop, I would often wait a second or two before trying to accelerate again, almost as if I was waiting for the transmission to shift to a lower gear first. This was a type of behavior that I always assumed was the transmission, it was a kind of shifting delay.

So, I was quite pleasantly surprised that the car feels more eager to go, after this replacement job.

It's almost like the old axles had a kind of 'slop.' If that makes sense... actually it doesn't make sense but the difference is real and VERY WELCOME!

I’m glad it’s resolved.

We may never know the actual answer to “would JB weld work?” as posed, but given the rust, location, etc. I’m certain it would not have…

UPDATE:

So, I had the car towed to the local Honda dealership. As expected they were very busy, there are regular people driving in who have to wait some half an hour just to check in, then more waiting to speak to the service advisor. In my case, checking in was quicker since I was a special 'tow in' case.

Since I have never performed any service at any Honda dealership, I was registered first then given my paper work and told to wait. I knew the wait would be very long, possibly a day or two, so I took the Subway train home.

All in all, it took about 6 hours before I retrieved my car.

Since this is a recall, I didn't have to pay for anything except for the tow which was 150.

I knew about the recall in December of 2020 BEFORE I had bought the car.

Why had I waited so long? There are several reasons for this:

1. I hate dealerships and this one seems to get especially bad reviews. However, the mechanic did a competent job: both CV axles were replaced. It's all those other people who seem to ignore the customers and don't seem to have their stuff together.

2. Since the 'dynamic damper' hid the rusted corrosion ROT underneath the CV axle, I reasoned that I would be OK if I were gentle with acceleration, in fact the breakage happened at very low speeds, actually when braking (many FitFreak.net users also reported the same.) That rubber 'dynamic damper' piece really did hide how bad corroded the cv axle was.

3. Since I hate dealerships so much, I procrastinated and rescheduled my appointment a total of twice. So, this could have been done and over with as early as May of 2021. I made excuses such as, "well, maybe they don't have the part yet since the recall was only just announced in December of 2020." You get the idea, there are certain personalities such as myself who worry and procrastinate. It's a bad habit one must break. Be a warrior, not a worrier.

---------------------------------------------------------

One interesting of note is that after the CV axles were replaced, I noticed less "hesitation" when accelerating. When driving, after coming to a stop, I would often wait a second or two before trying to accelerate again, almost as if I was waiting for the transmission to shift to a lower gear first. This was a type of behavior that I always assumed was the transmission, it was a kind of shifting delay.

So, I was quite pleasantly surprised that the car feels more eager to go, after this replacement job.

It's almost like the old axles had a kind of 'slop.' If that makes sense... actually it doesn't make sense but the difference is real and VERY WELCOME!
That's good news. Now call Honda corporate and see if you can get reimbursed for the tow, especially if there is a recall for the failed part in question. I've won battles like that over the years on more than one occasion. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I don't care for my Hyundai dealer. I scheduled an early morning appointment for the stop lamp switch recall that I've had since 2009, the brake lights finally quit working. Got there and they told me a 4 hour wait!. I left. went home and took the switch out and sprayed cleaner and lube on it. Works good as new. Only took an hour and that is with me not knowing the procedure.

I see the switch is $12 for Hyundai, $10 for AM. I wonder if the AM switches are any better?

That's good news. Now call Honda corporate and see if you can get reimbursed for the tow, especially if there is a recall for the failed part in question. I've won battles like that over the years on more than one occasion. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Thanks for the support, I will give it a shot-----though this towing company (well reviewed on Yelp and Google) doesn't have a physical address (just a phone number) and I paid cash with no receipt. I'll give it a shot anyway.

Thanks to everyone, for the advice and support.

Back