Using Google Voice abroad in Europe

Yeah, why complicate things? Already built into every iOS device, and functions as long as there is internet access. Just make sure it's enabled, and that the Apple ID address is checked/included as one of the "can be reached at" personal IDs. OP indicates no need for cross platform.

And if there is, most, if not all of the major messaging apps also provide for voice communication.

The cow is already in possession. No need to buy milk separately.

There is also a way to FaceTime Android users as well. You need iOS 15 or higher to do it.

Between FaceTime and GV, OP should have the back-and-forth to the U.S. covered. If an isolated pressing need arises, OP can still re-enable their Verizon e-SIM and pay their roaming ransom for an important call.

In general, I prefer local SIMs, which can be pre-purchased in the U.S. (albeit at higher cost), or on site, because they usually offer better value, a local phone number, and are native SIMs on their native networks, not roaming plans from an outside country.

Since the EU recognizes that their telco cartels need at least some sort of leash, roaming charges are not permitted within the territory (sorry, UK), so a SIM purchased at the POE can cover an entire trip.

Last time I was there, pre-meltdown, a $30 Vodafone plan purchased at LHR provided 20GB of data, voice, texting, and covered five countries over the better part of a month, with promo "bonus" data also awarded during the period.

But the prevalance of data-only e-SIM travel plans indicates that, in a world with myriad VoIP options, the demand for actual voice numbers is diminishing.

Yes but it gets unlimited usage and your friends and family won't need training to do something new. They would call or text your same number.

Sorry, guys, for resurrecting this thread. I'll travel to Germany and France in August, and wanted to know which is better: local SIMs or roaming. It's kind of hard to understand reading online. Thought you guys might have some experience.

Sorry, guys, for resurrecting this thread. I'll travel to Germany and France in August, and wanted to know which is better: local SIMs or roaming. It's kind of hard to understand reading online. Thought you guys might have some experience.
Local SIM is always the cheapest option in Europe. They usually range from 10-30 euros for 30-50gb depending on whatever deals they have going on. Pretty much any general store will have them.

I decided against using an eSIM when I traveled to Spain in March. Instead, I opted for a local SIM card, and it worked out perfectly. It was super easy to get one, and the prices were much more reasonable compared to paying for international roaming, around $12 for the whole trip.
For my 2FAs and whatnot, I used the temporary phone numbers from https://anonymsms.com/. It costs about $10 if you rent a number for 7 days.

I decided against using an eSIM when I traveled to Spain in March. Instead, I opted for a local SIM card, and it worked out perfectly.

It should be noted that a SIM card, whether p- or e-, is just the means to convey service, and should not be conflated with the type of service provided, or its terms.

While companies like Airalo and Holafly ply their convenience-oriented data-only plans through eSIMs, it should not be taken that eSIMs are confined exclusively to that type of service.

While in Asia recently, I had the choice of e- or p-SIM from one of the local providers, and opted for the eSIM.

This is one of those situations where there are too many factors to be weighed to say there is any one solution, except to say that the "best" option is the one that fits one's needs and preferences at the destination(s) in question.

Some people just prefer to pay the piper and roam with their native home plan, because it's too confusing to them, or not worth their while to devote any thought to it.

It should be noted that a SIM card, whether p- or e-, is just the means to convey service, and should not be conflated with the type of service provided, or its terms.

While companies like Airalo and Holafly ply their convenience-oriented data-only plans through eSIMs, it should not be taken that eSIMs are confined exclusively to that type of service.

While in Asia recently, I had the choice of e- or p-SIM from one of the local providers, and opted for the eSIM.

This is one of those situations where there are too many factors to be weighed to say there is any one solution, except to say that the "best" option is the one that fits one's needs and preferences at the destination(s) in question.

Some people just prefer to pay the piper and roam with their native home plan, because it's too confusing to them, or not worth their while to devote any thought to it.
Thanks for the clarification! You're right, eSIMs and physical SIMs are just means to convey service, and it's the type of service and terms that matter. I didn't realize that some local providers offer eSIM options, that's good to know. You're absolutely right, the best option depends on individual needs and preferences. I opted for a local SIM card in Spain because it was easy and cost-effective, but I can see how others might prefer to roam with their native plan.

I just turned on airplane mode and tried to make a call with Google Voice. Google Voice still routes through your phone number, so I don't see this working.

Unless, you were to do it from a computer.
Not true, there is a setting to make it prefer wifi and mobile data.

My Google Voice works fine every time I go to Brazil and other places in Latin America.

Back