Using Google Photos on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering switching from my iPhone 6 back to an Android based phone sometime in the near future. The only reservation I have is the automatic photo syncing to my iPad (which I do now via iCloud). I don't take a ton of pictures, so a massive GB allowance isn't needed. The obvious candidate is Google Photos, which syncs photos and videos between different phone and PC OS. I downloaded the Google Photos app yesterday just to see how well it plays with iOS, and I'm a bit disappointed... it's seeing all my pictures and videos, and successfully works in the background (there's a workaround for that), but every time it starts uploading, it misses a bunch of photos. It'll then do another swipe and get a few more, and the process repeats. I only have 600 something pictures and videos, so not too many thankfully. And I assume that the subsequent syncs will be easier, dealing with fewer photos. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue here? I wonder if it has anything to do with the iOS 10.3 update and their new file system; perhaps the Google Photos iOS app hasn't updated for this yet?

The first time I used the Google Photos app, I had almost 3000 pictures and videos to upload. The process took forever, but now I see they have a "background app refresh" option that should work in the background.

I would figure 600 pics should be easy and it should complete overnight while on WiFi.

You are right about subsequent uploads... they are much easier and it completes is a very short time.

Yeah I had the same issue when abandoning iOS, had to sync my photos multiple times because it would skip stuff. However I left it charging and on WiFi overnight and it actually managed to sync everything automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back